Posts by danhar

Hello petediscrete and thank you for the reply

I am not sure what you are saying. That the picture quality will be better if i connect via a client over the network rather than my current setup which has my raspberry pi and the tv hat connected directly to my tv using a hdmi lead with libreelec and vdr installed on the sd card to provide the tv picture directly to my tv. As far as I can tell my cpu and memory even on a Raspberry pi 3B+ are well under utilized.

I am not knocking the raspberry pi (I have 4) or the tv hat, just my expectation to see if any computer peripheral (tuner) can match or preferably better the quality of a tv that was purchased 14 years ago and admittedly cost £1800.

Is the general consensus that a tv tuner built into the tv just more tuned to provide better picture quality than an added component or genuinely am i doing something wrong?

Hello Everybody

Just purchased a very cheap (£6.49) unofficial raspberry pi tv hat and to be fair the quality of the picture is pretty good considering the price. The question I have though, is there a tv tuner that will produce the same or better picture quality as the tuner that is built into my 10+ years old pioneer tv. I have a humax box attached to the tv at the moment and although the picture is slightly better than the pi tv hat, it is still not as good as the on board tv tuner. Am I doing something wrong or are my expectations unrealistic to think that I can get an equivalent picture quality form a computer peripheral. I am in the UK and most of the tv channels that I watch are only SD quality and of course the pi and the humax are attached to the pioneer via hdmi cables and i am pretty sure I have the correct output set on both the pi and the humax, but the picture just does not look as crisp. In fact i would say the humax and pi HD channels are about the same quality as a SD channel just using the pioneer tuner.

Thanks in advance

Dan