Posts by archercj

Ok so I have answered my own question.

As I have said I have always been happy with Librelec as a direct o/s boot on my Mini MX. So first I decided to run Kodi through Android on the new GooBang. Works fine. But in the back of my mind I always had that nagging feeling 'isn't Android just getting in the way, why do I actually need it'. So I took the plunge and taking note of the excellent install instructions (including the 'take note: you may corrupt your device first time round but install again and everything should be ok' which happened to me) in no time I had Libreelec booting directly and Android was gone.

Boot up time is excellent and given this is a 2gb/16gb device it is also noticeably faster operationally than my MiniMX 1gb/8gb.

I have been really happy with my Mini MX running Libreelec from internal memory. Wiped the Android o/s off it and it very quickly boots up.

I have now invested in another box - a GooBang Doo Abox A2. Once again this is shipped with Android.

What I would like to ask what do people feel is the best 'experience' for running kodi. Do I:

- wipe Android and run Libreelec from internal memory
    - keep Android and run full fat Kodi from the Android menu
    - create a SSD/USB boot and have dual Android/Kodi (Liberelec?) boot

Has anyone any of their own experiences here?

So can I ask a few questions. I have a Vu+ Uno satellite receiver running Openvix (Enigma 2) plus a Minimx running latest LE.

If I purchased a Play 2 I would look to rehome both these boxes but would you say the Wetek Play 2 is up to it. The Vu+ is really slick on Openvix is an excellent front end.

Do I:

- run the Play 2 in Android mode and use its interface for watching Satellite stations (with Oscam configured)
    - dual boot OpenATV (the only Enigma 2 that is compliant) from microsd and run Kodi from the Android interface
    - dual boot Libreelec from microsd and scrap Kodi on Android

Basically I need something that a) runs kodi well and b) has an easy satellite channel interface either via kodi or native android

I did report that I was getting the issue of an unresponsive remote which required a physical power off of my box (Minimx). But since I updated to 8.0.0d this issue has not resurfaced.

The only very very slight issue I can report is that when I use Advanced IP Scanner and then drop down on the libreelec box I lose the folder structure (SSH). It's my lazy way to copy updates. I have tried to remote to it using Bitvise (or Putty) when this happens and I get connection refused. A hard reboot of the libreelec box sorts it. So no real issue to be honest but thought I would mention it.

Has anyone got one of these and if so can they provide feedback.

I fancy purchasing it with DVB-S2. I do not the version 8.0.0 of the S905 firmware states inbuilt DVB is not supported.

Is anyone using it with Kodi/Libreelec/DVB-S2 interface?

No issues with MiniMX as well. Even 4k with average bitrate ~60-70Mb/s without buffering (in peaks more than 100Mb/s) via PlexKodiConnect plugin (using direct path)

That's good info. Thank you both. At least I know that the device should work. I may do a full wipe and install this version from scratch rather than an upgrade which I did (and which I read is not recommended). I might even install the Plex plugin and see what that does. At the moment I am streaming via a Windows share.

archercj
    As far as I can recall, Plex transcodes the streams it sends to your TV, whereas the same series (unless also streamed via Plex, which is not apparent in your post) may be received by your Libreelec device at a much higher, unchanged, resolution / bitrate, thus causing the buffering that you are experiencing. Incidentally, your Ethernet speed would be 1Gb - not 1GB.

You also need to remember that, if your Libreelec device is only capable of a 100Mb ethernet connection then that is the max speed your Gb Ethernet system will deliver data to that device.

Cheers for the info Poida. The Minimx is rated at 1Gb and I installed the correct 1Gb driver from the start of this post. I have most my house Ethernet wired back to a router that as 1Gb ports (it's even Cat 6!). And I am not streaming using the Plex app on my s905 device.

A few playback issues.

I have a Windows PC with shares that the Libreelec device accesses using Ethernet GB hard wired. I also have a Sony Smart TV accessing the shares through Plex. The TV uses wireless -5ghz.

The Sony TV streams without any issues what so ever using the Plex to windows share. The same series that I am watching though stutters, stops and then plays catch up several times using the S905 Libreelec installed device.

The video is 720p

I have upgraded my S905 device to this version. It works fine except I do get a larger number of freezes not when playing anything but when navigating around. The device becomes unresponsive and only an unplug of the power cable will suffice. This is definitely a greater occurance than on previous versions of libreelec on this device.

An annoyance rather than a show stopper

Very interesting. I could build a PC and 'lose' my PS3 (only use for blue ray), VU+ (satellite watching) and current Kodi box.

May I ask though - does the Technotrend Tuner allow you to see the full range of satellite stations.

My Vu+ is linked to a motorised dish and I have Openvix installed. I also have a cline (apologies if I am breaking any rules mentioning that on this forum). Does Kodi support clines and if so would it display a full list of satellite channels

I am happily running Libreelec on a S905 device (Minimx) with the latest 7.95 beta. I must say I am very impressed with it.

My next project is to acquire a similar setup but with built in tuner to allow PVR. Has anyone any suggestions for the hardware please.

Of course my 'ideal' setup would be to replace by current Vu+ satellite receiver (which can record), my current Minimx device and redeploy my BT (Humax) box (only used to record terrestrial TV) with one Kodi (Libreelec) box that can do everything. Are we looking at a PC with suitable cards - and can Kodi deal with satellites?

Sorry a lot of configuration questions there I know.

Pretty happy with this. Have had 7.02 on a Beelink S905 for several months so last night decided to go the 'UPDATE' folder route. Went to 7.03 first with no issues then thought I would bite the bullet and go for it. 5 minutes later I was the proud owner of 7.95 beta5

Initial impressions - good. The skin I previously has didn't work so I have customised Aeon and am happy with that. Maybe me being thick but I couldn't find a way of adding menu items to the default Estuary skin home screen (you can deselect the built in ones). Like I say probably me being thick there

Also the only other slight issue I have is that on the occasional reboot I get a very loud squeeling noise coming through my Amp (I have the Beelink connected to my amp via HDMI). Another reboot sorts it.

I dont understand many people, why want to upgrade to next kodi (what is still alfa/beta)...
    For what i use it (playing video, listen music,tv), the old kodi 14,15,16 perfect. All of them play perfectly video, no important news about it.
    More important is: good kernel to amlogic devices, and bugfixes.

Do you know the ONLY reason I want 17 - it's the default skin it comes with!!!! I think its awesome!!! :exclamation:

I agree with you, 16 works fine perhaps its just the geek in me that likes to have the latest mod of everything. I do it with my Enigma2 Openvix satellite and my Android phone etc etc

Other than that there is no reason

Many thanks. I am now the proud owner of a Beelink MiniMX booting to build 007 of LibreElec

First of these I've done but have done many Satellite boxes with Enigma2, Openvix etc so was aware of the potential of bricking (which I did on the Mini MX).

Solution was to:

(1) Create a USB stick and the LibreElec SD/ISB burning software
    (2) Toothpick install

voila

A few pitfalls

(1) I now don't have any recovery option (but not that bothered to be honest)
    (2) Had to trial and error which USB stick worked (I tested several and found an SD card in a USB adaptor to be the only one that worked)
    (3) Trial and error which USB port works (this was noted on the first thread).
    (4) Keyboard didn't work so thank you to the poster who posted the3 remote.conf. Works fine now.

And over all thank you to kszaq. It is much appreciated.

p.s. I did try to push my luck and do an upgrade to Kodi 17. Bricked it again lol. Is there a working copy of 17 available for this sS905 device?