Posts by Tanzbaerli

I gave up!

The question here was about Dolby Athmos and Rasbberry PI4. This seems to work without problems BUT

i did not get DTS-HD Audio Signals working without problems. I always get very short to short complete Audi failures (silence).

I tried libreelec and OSMC with kodi but both did not always work flawless. Its just annoying because a relaxing Home-Cine evening cannot be guaranteered if using High-Quality 4k video and HD-Master Audio. I had to disable pass through many times, depending on the source material.

Since a few days i own the NVidia shield TV and there everything works perfectly with KODI 18.3! Not a single issue with any movie on my NAS. So i cannot recommend the raspberry 4 for real High-Quality Vido/Audio streams.

I have some copies of UHD-BluRays on my NAS and a Gigabit Network!

Recently i copied the new "Top gun 2" Movie with MakeMKV to my NAS. (4k with english and german Dolby Atmos and subtitles; filesize approximately 80 gigabytes). If i play this movie on my Raspberry 4 (4 gigabyte), there are minimal Sound glitches (milliseconds of silence sometimes) during the movie. The picture is fine. The glitches go away if i disable pass-through and use 8 channel PCM. My reveiver shows that the movie is played with 24 pictures per second which seems to be the original quality on the UHD.

If i change the picture bitrate with Handbrake (H265 default UHD quality with audio passthrough) the filesize is dramatically smaller (1/4) and the raspberry plays the Athmos Audio passthrough without any glitches (i even cannot see a picture quality difference but it tooks very long to convert).

Is there a bytes per second limit that the Raspberry 4 can handle? For me it looks like the Athmos Audio-passthrough in combination with the high 4k picture quality exceeds this limit. I think its not a network problem which seems to be fast enough (no buffering message).

I used the last release (10.0.3) for Raspberry 4 and made the SD-Card image with windows.

The Paspberry Pi4 does not boot at all, always a blue screen changes with a black screen forever. So i tried the image 10.0.2 and the same happened again.

Then i connected the RP4 to my Audio Cinema System (instead of the monitor) and it booted and finished installation without a problem.

For the unsuccessful boot, a HDMI Monitor with 1920x1200 resolution was connected. Then i Used my Home Cinema with AVR receiver and Beamer with UDH resolution (there it booted and installed the system without a problem).

Maybe there is a problem with the connected video devices during first boot? (the not so usual resolution of 1920 x 1200?) For me it looks like the display could not be "initialized" when my monitor was connected and it tries again and again and ...