Posts by pope3909

The intent was to download an EPG file from http://m3u4u.com/epg/xxx and point IPTV simple client point to that file locally. (It is not possible for Kodi to access this file directly from the website via remote path due to a 405 error.)

Code
    x x * * * /usr/bin/curl http://m3u4u.com/xml/xxx > /storage/epg.xml

I was able to use putty to create a cron job but it did not work and I do not have the skill to troubleshoot the issue. Thanks for the replies but I'm going to find an alternative.

I was hoping to find out if it is possible to use a cron job to download a file from a website and store it locally at a certain time. (I barely know what a cron job is.)

The reason that I can't link to these files directly is because the links are in the format of http://xxx.com/xxx/xxx with no file extension and because the file name constantly changes every time it is downloaded. I will need to specify the download name and have it overwrite the previous file.

I pieced this together from looking at multiple sources, but it did not work (the 'x's in the cron time represent the test times I used):

Code
    x x * * * /usr/bin/wget http://xxx.com/xxx/xxx -O /profile/xxx/file.gz

I saw that there was a Kodi app called Cron for Kodi but I am unsure if 1. my cron is even correct or 2. if I should use this app or something other method. Any help appreciated.

RPi4 can power off via scripted keyboard commands, but you cannot power on via the flirc USB receiver as the RPi4 board (when off) does not power the USB ports to receive the IR wake signal. The normal way around this with Pi 0/1/2/3/4 hardware is to have a power-board with IR sensor connected to the GPIO pins. The IR sensor is powered independently so can receive a wake command and then power-on the board via the +5v/GND GPIO pins not the normal USB-C connector. In that setup the Flirc USB receiver is redundant since you now have a permant IR sensor on the board.

If it requires this kind of workaround then I'm ok with just letting it stay powered 24/7. The main reason that I wanted to turn it off is so that IPTV Simple Client was not streaming and wasting bandwidth for the 20-22 hours a day that I was not watching TV.

Someone mentioned HDMI-CEC to me but I do not understand if this will stop the stream when the TV is turned off or if it just cuts the signal to the TV but keeps streaming and wasting bandwidth and data. I don't want the CEC to put the device into standby, Just kill the feed. (I've heard that the Pi4 will not wake via CEC.) If CEC is not what I am looking for is there a script that can be used to either stop the feed? I can bind it to my remote.

want to the Kodi/LE to detect it via HDMI cable and to send a general "Stop" command to Kodi to stop all media playings

Can LibreELEC kernel detect whether a display is turned on or off via HDMI?

If so, I propose that LibreELEC constantly monitors display status and forces Kodi to go into "low power mode" when it detects that the display has been off for XX minutes (perhaps 5 minutes). Also I propose that LibreELEC forces Kodi to wake from "hibernation mode" and/or "low power mode" instantly when it detects that the display has been turned back on.

HOWEVER, your idea is good as well and will accomplish my needs. Can we do it?

The problem is that KODI keeps running when I turn off my TV which means that it consumes power and also a large amount of streaming bandwidth for IPTV. I am currently using KODI/LibreELEC on a Pi4 on my SAMSUNG TV to watch IPTV and SMB files, but this feature would still be useful to anyone using HDMI.

KODI has a "Put display to sleep when idle" function, but I propose that KODI also adopt a "Sleep/wake based on HDMI signal input" function. The sleep function would initiate after XX minutes of no detection of a HDMI signal, and it would wake from sleep instantly after detecting a HDMI signal.

This would be phenomenally helpful because it would allow me to turn off my TV and have KODI go to sleep, saving power and bandwidth.

(Originally erroneously posted to Kodi forum.)

I think I found a thread that will help me. I must have misspelled ExpressVPN when I searched. Sorry for the trouble.

K4JIM
    August 2, 2023 at 11:08 PM

It seems you love unsupported low-spec hardware.

Feel free to sell me a reasonably priced CM4 or to get off my back. I only need to use it as a front end to my TrueNAS file server (for my 1080p TV) so I don't exactly need a super computer.

EDIT: Kodi sideloaded on FireStick isn't sluggish, but Kodi is the only app that I want to use so the amount of bloat I have to deal with is bananas.

I found a way to install LineageOS on the FireStick, but it was so sluggish that it was unusable. I'm going to attribute this to underperformance of the FireStick due to CyanogenMod's incredible reputation.

I just bought a $90 PI ZERO 2W on eBay and a heatsink to slap on it and will throw on the 9.2.6 image.

Thread resolved, thanks.

I know that Kodi can be side loaded onto a Firestick but sideloading negates the benefits that something like LibreELEC offers. I was asking about LibreELEC OS support on a Firestick because 1. Raspberry Pi's are out of stock everywhere and go for 4 or 5 times retail price from scalpers and 2. Firestick are such widespread use that LibreELEC OS support on them could be a really big thing.