Posts by gekoch

ok I think I somehow got it working but not 100% what I wanted but good enough.

I now bought 5 different mini DP to HDMI converters and hooked them up to my 2 display out on the NUC.

Now I can play ATMOS content but "only" up to 4k 30fps. 4K 60fps does not work even though the cables / converters

would support it. It's not a deal breaker

So I'm happy for now but I don't understand why I can^t play ATMOS content over the HDMI port since on a windows instance with kodi the same port work sup to 4k 60fps and ATOMS....

Already tried 7 different HDMI cables all with various length and all 2.1 specs. And now I use the one that worked with WIN10 + Kodi.

Since I still have this drive I installed it back into the NUC and it still works at 4k 60hz with ATOMS. So it must be a problem with libreelec that's 100% certain.

hmm nice idea!

Ok i tried 15 times and ONE out of the 15times I was able to hear ATMOS sound!

I only connected the NUC to the AVR restarted couple of times and then suddenly I hear the sound. After I rebooted sound has been gone.

So it is very very very unstable and not clear why it works ones out of 15 tries...

Makes sense.

Please check pass-through activation again. Use the default skin, and activate "Expert" settings on LE's audio settings.

• pass-through: enabled
    • Dolby Digital receiver: enabled
    • DTS receiver: enabled

Try different audio output devices (HDMI MAI vs. MEI). Also try more than 2 output channels.

The debug logs are still a puzzle to me, because they have kernel errors. I'll have another look, soon...

I always had all those formats activated in the Expert mode.

I have 10 different HDMI ports to choose from in the Passthrough list. I tested them all but with the same result as before...

I also changed the channels form 2 to 5.1 and 7.1 but no improvements on this side as well

Why does libreelec see so many HDMI ports? There are not 10 ports on the device...

Do you play from external SanDisk USB drive? If yes...

The issue appears on high-data-rate audio, so your external USB drive might be too slow.

a) reformat the USB drive to EXT4 (maybe LE doesn't like the current FAT format)

b) use a different USB cable

c) use a different USB drive with faster read access

During the "live" tests (booted from an USB drive) I had to play from the same USB stick that I booted from.

Otherwise I "stream" all my Media over my 1GB network connection the same way I did when I tested kodi in a windows instance.

Dev was answering to me. No obvious reasons found in the logs. Maybe some skeletons from an older LE installation are still biting.

Please create an USB stick with latest stable LE. Then run that stick in live mode, and try Atmos again. No user add-ons or skins.

Ok did exactly what you suggested but still the same problem.

I did also try three more Atmos Videos from different sources but without any luck. And the same strange behavior, once I started an Atmos content (no audio) and after stopping the video no more GUI sounds as well even. I need to reboot before they come back

Ok did some further tests with different Audio formats

Those do work:

DTS 5.1

Dolby 5.1

And those do not work:

DTS-MA 5.1

DTS-MA 7.1

Dolby-HD 7.1

My speaker system doe support does formats:

LPCM 2ch, LPCM 5.1ch, LPCM 7.1ch, Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos, Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, DTS 96/24, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS:X

And as already mentioned those videos play nicely in Kodi on a windows instance on the same hardware...

And here the latest two logs.
    http://ix.io/3XjT

http://ix.io/3XjU

Set the amount of output channels to "2" on LE's audio settings. Other channels will be encoded into those two then.

I already did set the Audio device to 2 channels...

In the previous post I did not mention that when I stop the ATMOS test sound video I have no sound in the GUI as well. Before starting the video the GUI sound was there. So I need to reboot libreelec to get sound back. Also all other videos have no sound after the test with an ATOMS sound Video... I have tested several of those ATMOS test sound videos all with the same result...

Your AVR should indicate what audio format it is receiving over HDMI ? (Mine shows me both on the front panel display and via an app on my phone)

Volume control of the audio output within Kodi (rather than Kodi CEC control of your AVR's volume control - which I don't think many NUCs support) indicates that you aren't using passthrough/bitstream and are instead outputting PCM.

Stupid question - but you have enabled passthrough for all the audio formats your AVR supports?

yep I've enabled passthrough for all audio formats as I'm used to with my old system before. However when I install Kodi on a windows setup with the same NUC it passes the audio correctly (Display on the AVR shows Doby Atmos).

When I use libreelec on the same machine it only shows 5.1 Dolby Digital and no Atmos (The video I like to play has Atmos sound). And as I mentioned I can still control volume even tough passthrough is activated what is not possible while using the windows / kodi setup.

5.17.4 (which is the current nightly image)

Anything below 5.12 on the nuc11 in “average” / barely functional.

ok thx and you got Audio working as well and also with passthrough?

I ask because now it seems working at least the video part. No more dropouts at 4k/60 with the Firmware Update of the HDMI chip. First it looked like it would not work but I reseted the bios once more and reinstalled libreelec.

Now my only issue is the sound. I can't get Dolby Atmos working... As I had windows installed for the firmware update of the HDMI chip I tried running kodi where I was able to play Atmos content but with the 20220426 nigthly build Atoms is not passed through my audio receiver.

Unless there's some driver issue (that we won't know about) the GPU and DRM drivers should handle 4K@60 fine. However 4K@60 requires considerably more bandwidth on the HDMI connection so the common weak-link is the HDMI cable. Pretty much any old crap HDMI cable will handle 4K@30 but "certified" cables and sometimes specific HDMI ports on the TV are required for 4K@60.

ok thx will try again with different cables however tried may of them all "certified" for 4k / 60 even some for 8k or 120hz

I use some PXL-CBH1 rated for 4k/60