Posts by libreelekuer

Thank you all for the input.

Rpi 4 not handeling vp9, specially when Goolag and others favor it, seems like a bit let down. It seems I better look into the Amlogic chipsets since this device will be only a media center and video decoding is its main function.

As for the RAM debate, even if 2Gb seems to be ok, experience has shown me that being generous with RAM is usually wise. So I tend to agree with the ones recommending at least 4Gb, plus the price difference is small.

Hi

I have an Odroid C2 that I have been using a media center with LibreElec and later CoreElec, but it is old and the HDMI is giving up. It gets overheated and the signal randomly gets lost until I give it a break. So I want to buy a new device that will act only as media center with LibreElec. What I need:

- 4k HDR support (it will be connected to a Samsung Q80R).

- Gigabit ethernet, no storage will be attached (source is a local Jellyfin server plus Youtube and other streaming, but no Netflix or any other DRM streming service).

- No need for DRM, no Netflix or similar (as mentioned above)

- Interested in lowest power consumption, specially when idle.

For what I have read in the forums the two main candidates are the rPi 4b and the Odroid N2+. This is only my conclussion from reading this forum so I am open to other suggestions. For what I've read, the rPi 4b got 4k HDR support recently with HEVC but there are still a few minor quirks left to solve (although since it is such a popular platform they should be solved timely). The Odroid N2+ is a bit older but also fits all the requirements, apparently has great audio out (which I will use in the future) and is avaiable to buy while it might take a few months for the rPi 4b to be back in stock.

I would like to know:

1. Is there any other device that fits my needs and I have missed?

2. Are there any other advatages/disadvantages the rPi 4b or the N2+ have on each other for my use case?

3. I would be interested on a comparisson of power consumption of each device, specially when idle as that is how it spends most of the time.

Thanks