Posts by RenEH

Hi, now that the pi 5 has so much more horse power and all the non-h265 content is decoded by cpu, would it be possible to add a better upscaling algorithm like lanczos 3 optimized? It makes a big impact on older DVD quality or lower content. This is especially useful with non standard resolutions, which a lot of the older content is, that can't be whitelisted.

Your CPU is too weak to decode 4K video in software.

I believe that current LE master does support nvidia after this PR. The image has to be built with Wayland (PROJECT=Generic ARCH=x86_64 DEVICE=wayland).

I’m currently decoding 4k videos that peak over 75mbit with no issues and never going over 78% cpu usage and averaging closer to 50%. There was a white paper about CPU requirements for 4k hevc I could point you to if you’re interested.

The main factor for CPU’s of this generation being able to decode 4k is hyper threading for 4 core CPU’s. This improves efficiency around 30% for this application.

Thank you for pointing towards the other project though. I find that even in windows Nvidia hardware decoding is extremely buggy. I much prefer software decoding for ease of use.

Just wondering if this works with Nvidia cards if I’m not looking for hardware acceleration. I’m perfectly happy with software decoding as I’m using a Xeon 1270 v2 with a gt1030.

EDIT: I tried it, but it crashes at the installer.