Posts by greenbag

Just a heads up... if you're running OSMC, then you could have just installed pearl, then the regular zap2xml and needed files. I believe edit4ever's version is specifically for LibreELEC/OenELEC, where you can't install pearl.

Things seem to be working OK for now. I've had a few instances where things seemed to lock up in emulationstation or while running a game, but they were always after I dropped several new files into the roms folder. Reboots seem to have cleared that issue up. Once again, time will tell.

I'm running bite_your_idols' Gamestarter, and I've had a few games freeze on me as well. I think I even had a game or 2 freeze up in RetroPie. I'm not sure if it's the emulators, or because I'm still using a rpi2, and would be better off with a rpi3. It only happens with certain games though. I had to turn off the rumble function as that froze something up I was playing.

Try a clean install of LE8 and see if shutdown works before installing any addons.

I have DS4 controllers myself, I've paired and used them (through bluetooth) in Kodi and Emulationstation since LE7 without ds4drv, so any problems people are having = user error.

I'll give it a try tomorrow. I'm just remembering that I did have it set up in a dual boot using berryboot, but it's the same set up I had with LE7. I've just installed LE7 on it's own since getting the python version of zap2xml installed, and now emulationstation. The only thing missing is a browser. :P

The problems with the ds4drv are in retropie, in raspbian. Your build was the first I knew of it in Kodi. :)

That's sselph's scraper. It's included in my build, I simply download the binary from github. Haven't used it much though as it doesn't support all the platforms I use (i.e. amiga and c64), so I just use regular lists. There is ongoing work in integrating that scraper into Emulationstation as well.

Your right.. looking through your source, then reading the info on sselph's scraper, that's the same scraper. Then looking at retropie's source, the '/opt/retropie/supplementary/scraper/scraper' being called in my commands is actually a scraper.sh, using the same scraper.

As for Kodi not controlling the shutdown procedure.. that makes sense. As for plugins not shutting down properly.. all I had installed was tvheadend and the zap2it plugin, which also needed mechanize. It's definitely a difference between LE8 and LE7/OE7(6.95) though. LE8, and I have issues. LE7 or a self compiled OE7 beta, and it's fine.

As for the ps4 and bluetooth though.. I paired the device, emulationstation detects it, but you can't configure it. The same thing in retropie.. until you install the ds4drv. Only problem after that, is retropie/emulationstation then detects 2 controllers.. you can navigate through emulationstation, but it then says game pad not configured when trying to play a game. That's why I was surprised you actually got it to work in your build. Just google it... everybody's having issues with the ps4. :P

I also just found that the rumble function actually bugs out on some games.. it literally froze everything up in one game. :P

Thanks... I tried looking through all the directories, even looking through logs.. hoping something popped up. I wound up just inserting my RetroPie card, doing the scrape, then reinserting LE. I only had 200 or so to do manually after that. :P
    [hr]
    I should also mention... I don't know what in that command string makes the scraper do it's job any differently than when running it through the gui, but the command string seems to make the scraper go by the hash of the file, rather than the name of the file. Even if I manually remove all the (USA)'s from the iso's file names, it'll just add them back when it uses the hash. Scraping it manually, and it keeps the changes that I've made. In the end though, the search by hash method finds games on the database site that the manual scraper can't seem to find.. even though you can see it yourself when searching the site.

Also.. I've tried escalade's builds, and they're great. He's built in the ds4drv driver for the ps4 dual-shock controller, so my controller not only rumbles, but it works wireless via bluetooth. Only issue I had though.. after configuring my controller to use the bluetooth, then actually playing a game.. my Hauppauge 950q's remote would become unresponsive. I couldn't navigate Kodi with anything but my keyboard and mouse. I thought it was just his build, but even a regular LE8 source was having issues with the remote.. every 2nd or 3rd reboot, and it didn't work. I was also experiencing freezing while powering down or rebooting. I'm guessing there's a bug in Kodi17. So.. I went back to the current stable version, and installed your gamestarter instead. No freezing, remote still works, and I enabled the rumble feature. Can't use the bluetooth with it though.. it needs the ds4drv. :P

My Hifiberry soundcard works with it though. :) Everything else to do with Retropie or emulationstation, and only the hdmi would work. Even escalade's build. But with your plugin... I can't use the hdmi for some reason, but it's using my Hifiberry as default. I just can't adjust the frequency rate.. it's stuck at 48000. I was hoping to reduce it as the sound's a bit choppy in some games, and I read reducing it could solve a lot of problems. Maybe I'll try manually editing the file. Just gotta find it first. :P

Thank you for this bite_your_idols.. you are a saint! :)

One question though... where is the scraper directory? In retropie, I have a script set up that scrapes everything, finding stuff that the built in scraper links seem to miss.. even though I can see them on the site being used.

I have close to 900 games... having to choose a title based on it's version for every game manually is a little much. So.. I run the script, then go back and manually re-scrape to find the stragglers. I just need to know where the scraper's actually been installed.

Also.. I used a spare sd card to do a quick install of retropie, then used that to download all the esthemes. Transferred that over to ~/Configfiles/emulationstation/themes. I was going to upload them, but it's 260 mb's. :P

I think I need to correct myself. I just set up a dual-boot on an external drive using NOOBS. Raspbian and LE 17 (Kodi 16.02). It seems Kodi not saving skin changes is a bug in 16.02.. at least what I've just been reading. And as for the freezing during a reboot.. it does it using a NOOBS setup as well. So that might just be my system.

Couldn't LE handle the update by itself, moving & renaming the downloaded SYSTEM file within proper BerryBoot folder structure & then reboot?
    Does not seem too complex I think.

I think the way BerryBoot handles each os, is to keep the original os in it's *.img format, then it keeps another folder with the changes it's made to the image.. similar to a persistent home directory on a user's usb in a linux-live cd scenario. Therefore, it can't actually write changes to the system.. it just needs to be replaced instead.

As for just renaming the LibreELEC 7.0.2 SYSTEM file to *.img128, then install that with the installer... it works, but I've just found a snag.. well, 2 actually. 1, if you make any changes to the default skin layout, ie: hide Pictures, enable Weather, etc.. it doesn't keep the settings upon reboot. Confluence, Aeon Nox.. both do the same thing. The 2nd issue... it's hanging on reboot. LE 7.0.1 installed direct from the internet connection seems fine though.. changes stick, and reboots fine. So I'm not sure if it's the method, or something in 7.0.2. I don't remember any issues when installing LE 7.0.2 on it's own in a normal install, without BerryBoot.

I had a similar issue with my rpi2 a while back, but it was because I played with "config_hdmi_boost" in the config.txt. My monitor was blanking out now and then, and I thought it was the hdmi to dvi cable I was using.. I've read hdmi to dvi needs more power. So.. I had config_hdmi_boost increased, but after a while, it had artifacts. I can't remember how high I had it cranked though.

I have a Hauppauge 950Q usb hd tuner, and it's remote controls LE out of the box. :) The remote itself's a little flimsy though, not much bigger than a credit card, so I bought a bigger replacement from Hauppauge's web store.

Code
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/webstore2/webstore_avcable-hvr.html