Posts by GDPR-2

I know exactly what has done this.

The VFD driver was updated so devices with displays wouldn't need their own DTB anymore.

The install process reads an ID in the DTB image so it knows which DTB to install during the upgrade.

Because the dtb should have been updated but one no longer existed for your box then your DTB partition never got updated and that is why your box won't boot.

You just need to flash the new dtb to your dtb partition and your box will boot again with all data still intact :)

Don't blame the hardware, boot your Android box from an sdcard like you do with your raspi, installtointernal=evil.

I would rather if people did not upload the old releases as they also require the matching dtb, problems can't be solved if everyone is using different versions, what may work on 1 version may not work on another and If you think there may be a problem with the latest release I would rather know about it so I can try and fix it.

deinterlacing and noise reduction settings is enable in hardware acceleration or software decoding? to improve video quality.

If you don't understand the settings then just leave them at default, this is what causes problems.

Though I do wish peak3d didn't apply million updates to inputstream after you made 8.90.6 build. v2.1.15 to v2.2.8 in 10 days...? "C'mon Man!" Lol.

Me too!

The only thing I will say about the T95m was that the T95m specific dtb was made redundant, you have to update it manually for this box, you will be fine with any future updates then.

Any problems booting can always be resolved, refer to other threads.

I appreciate the comments.

Trying to remain on topic, the main change from .5 to .6 was changing from kszaqs nougat kernel to the LE nougat kernel.

The LE nougat kernel is based on a newer codebase than kszaqs.

This is what is mostly responsible for audio/video changes.

Changes to deinterlacing and/or noise reduction settings can improve or deteriorate your video quality depending on the CPU in your box.

Both kernels have advantages and disadvantages, kszaqs kernel has been in use for a long time and is very stable but has some minor issues, some of those issues are fixed in the LE kernel but then others have been introduced.

There is no 1 perfect solution and unfortunately due to the past policy by the LE team to keep S905/S912 seperate from official LE a lot of work that was done on kszaqs kernel has been wasted, it would have been better if everything had been contributed to LE at the time it was commited.

Things have changed with Leia and S905/S912 code is now a part of LE but it will take time to get a release as great as kszaqs have been.

One message that I got during the update process - "Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt. Automatically removing dirty bit". Maybe that affected the update process.

Possibly, I have seen that error message myself before.

I'm happy to hear you got it sorted anyway.

As much as I would like upgrading to work seamlessly, it is not always possible, especially with the Alpha releases there has been too many changes recently.

Go back to stock then step back from the bleeding edge. No decisions stop you doing that but your own :cool:

I think Shoog is referring to the fact that developers are now only working on the latest version of LE rather than adding support for his hardware to older versions.

Self entitled springs to mind, purchasing a particular device does not guarantee you anything. You can purchase a high end smartphone costing 10x what you spent on your device and get little to no support, so expecting it from us or even the Khadas team for that matter is overreaching in expectations.

To give Khadas some credit though they do try more than most manufacturers with their users and they even sent afl1 some free hardware to get the DTV daughter board working within LE.

All support given within the LE community is a courtesy and not a right, just because I and the LE team provide images that does not come with an implied guarantee of support, everything you do with your hardware is done at your own risk and we can not be held responsible or be expected to address any possible issues that may arise.

I am, surprisingly, not interested in going back over this - the decision is made. Get over it and I was happy to move on if I could have tested 8.90.6 from a USB. I couldn't so the question is what changed ?

However something seems to have happened as a consequence which prevents loading 8.90.6 which will effect a\ few people and so I for one want to know what the solution is so I can move on.

So does it require a return to stock or not, or does the issue lie elsewhere such as a faulty dtb ?

Shoog

I'm not sure of KVIM2 works the same as other devices as I don't own one but if it is then burn the img.gz to a flash drive or sdcard and copy the kvim2 dtb from the device_trees folder on the newly burned flash/sd and boot up.

On the subject of the KVIM2 I would actually prefer this over a Mecool device and development boards will receive their own LE builds and I believe the KVIM2 will be part of that plan but don't hold me to that.

On another note you should really be posting your booting issues in another thread rather than hijacking this one.

Have you got an earlier version on internal or stock ROM.

The dropping of "InstalltoInternal" came out of the blue so I am certain you can appreciate someone who had used it might be a slight bit peeved. I would still much prefer to run from internal - because at least on the VIM the EMMC is quite fast (4x as fast as most SD cards). Again its no biggy - but if I am going to have to jump some hoops I want to be certain its going to be worth it.

Shoog

It may have come out the blue for you but it has been stated by chewitt and kszaq that installtointernal would not be part of any official releases because of the trouble it causes and I have just followed the same direction no matter how shitty you think that decision is. You are always free to build your own releases and include it with them, the instructions are on the wiki.