Posts by phonky

Thanks Klojum , in fact I had seen that tutorial.

In my case redundancy of data is more important than speed, and even that guy had "a mac mini for years" as a NAS. I bet I can still have a reasonable performance by using a Pi3 and 2 external HDDs, like here (yes I know that is using a RPi4 too...).

I will take your comment seriously though and try to place this close to the router, so that I'd be able to connect the Pi with the cable at least.

I just found a somewhat different solution here though: It's just using `rsync` to make backups. This setup would allow me to keep the Pi as-is with libreelec I guess (can I assume that rsync IS available? Haven't checked yet but I should assume) - provided I can offer nfs and samba sharing through it. It's not ideal but in some ways involves less change. I will have to decide.

Have been very happily using libreelec for a couple of years now on my small mediacenter run by a Pi 3. Was very happy so far.

Just now I realized that I could use that Pi also as a file server, storing not only my music and videos, but all pics and documents, and make it available via WiFi to all my devices (right now depending on which device I happen to be, I need to grab an external HD and search for the doc, or store it locally and then copy it eventually).

I wanted to do this with a mirror RAID. If I run this as a file server, then I need redundancy and backups right away.

Unfortunately I realized I'll hit walls with libreelec here - can't install mdadm with apt-get, and also couldn't find any add-on.

So currently I am thinking of installing some other OS on the Pi and set it up that way (hint: if someone has a suggestion on how to achieve my goal without reinstalling the OS and keeping libreelec, I am all ears).

Is it possible to just backup the kodi configs and install them on the new OS afterwards and have a possibly smooth migration (I am anticipating version issue, but that's a different story)?