Posts by themitigating

I want to share the resolution to both my wifi and 4k problems I had with a Raspberry Pi 4 and Libreelec 9 and 10 that turned out to be on my side.

1. 4k 59.94hz and 4k 60hz didn't appear in the video mode list

The highest refresh rate I saw for my TV on the video mode list was 30hz but the TV does support 60hz at 4k. I know that there's suppose to be support for 4k-60 in the latest version but I read it was disabled recently. Either way I was able to finally get a signal by adding "hdmi_enable_4kp60=1" to the config.txt. Then another problem appeared. Green thin lines in random places on the image.

That was caused by a fake 4k-60 cable I got on Amazon, I checked the cable jacket and the cable is only rated to 1080p-60, I imagine I was getting 4k-30 because I was lucky but 60 introduced artifacts caused by freq bandwidth limits.

2. Wifi 5ghz weirdness (Bad key message)

Using both the 9.x and 10.x versions I was never able to get a connection to my 5ghz network. It would take a long time during authentication and then say "Bad Key". Once that happened if I were to try again the entire system would crash and restart. I thought for so long it was because I was using a DFS channel (100 with a 80mhz width) with my router.

One day I just randomly decided to switch my USB power adapter from a Samsung 2.0amp@5v to a Targus 45watt USB-C which offers 3amp@5v .

Now I am able to connect to my 5ghz with zero stability issues.

I know the pi4 recommends a 3amp 5v adapter but since I was able to run everything besides 5ghz wifi perfectly, and that includes previous overclocking on a raspberry pi OS install with overvoltage at 6 and the cpu at 1750, I would have never suspected power especially on just one band.

Maybe this helps some people :D

Love 10.x btw!

I created an account just to say I love what you guys do. It's such an easy to use media player, I use it to access files over SMB. The most shocking thing was my TV remote working right away!

Just my opinion about the versions. I don't know if this is appropriate but maybe leave the Kodi, Linux Kernel, and whatever the 9.9.7 is out of the name and most pages. I understand now but at the start it was super confusing because I only care about your releases and knowing what I'm using vs what's new.

Just as an example Ubuntu uses a code name (Focal Fossa) and a version (ex. 20.04) but they only mention the Kernel version in changelogs, it's actually kinda hard to find that info out They do sometimes talk about the Gnome version but in promotional material and mostly because of people's GUI opinions.

Here's how they do it (again not saying they are correct)

URL to download Ubuntu ISO: ubuntu-20.04.2.0-desktop-amd64.iso

and main download page Download Ubuntu Desktop | Download | Ubuntu

Just my two cents but either way you guys are amazing.