Posts by mevans

When you connected it via usb, did you use a seperate power supply

no, just direct to the Slice USB. interestingly i've just bought this: StarTech.com SATA to USB Cable - USB 3.0 to 2.5” SATA: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics, and it doesn't work with my 4TB drive (in Slice or Windows machine).

The USB > Sata cable that does work only draws 0.3A with the 4TB drive, so i'm going to backtrack and say its the Slice's USB > SATA chip that's the issue.

Oh well!!

I'm using the official Slice CM3 version from the downloads page:

LibreELEC 9.2

Kodi 18.9 (Linux Kernel 4.19.x)

LibreELEC-Slice3.arm-9.2.6.img.gz

how does the onboard sata port work? i had assumed there was a built-in USB > Sata adaptor?

I wonder if it's a power issue? i think i remember there being some concern over drive compatibility during the Kickstarter but i can't find this noted online anymore.

Maybe i will try the RPi2 build. is it a simple re-image?

Yes, there will be an issue with a HDD height, as the 4TB drive is taller. i was going to 3D print a thicker piece for where the LEDs shine through. the PCB will need some washers to sit on too. Alternatively i was also considering cutting the bottom out of the case and letting the thicker drive poke through!! or 3D print a complete new case...

...oh and i've tried the original 2TB drive i had, and this works fine with LE on the Slice.

I've tried various things with the 4TB drive to get it to work:

- one large NTFS volume

- one large exFAT volume

- two exFAT volumnes

nothing!!

I love the slice concept, and i'm not aware of anything else on the market that ticks all of its boxes!

Mathew

Hello all fellow Slice owners (are there still any?!?!?)

I'm reviving a Slice, and getting a CM3 module working in it (a project i started years ago, but ran in to problems - not sure why). All up and running with latest LE version.

I'd love to install a 2.5" 4TB drive that i have (to get more internal storage for when i use the slice off-line). i'm not sure where it came from, it's a Seagate BarraCuda 4TB (PN: 2AN17V-566, FW: 0001).

LE / Kodi does not see the drive when plugged in to the on-board connector, but does see it if connected (and powered) via a USB > SATA adaptor. Can anybody shed any light on this?

Any other thoughts for adding more storage? do i just have to concede to using an external USB drive?

Thanks in advance

Mathew