Posts by eisenb11

Anke I mainly use Kodi for movies so I didn't have many plugins. I think I just had my skin (Aeon Nox), a weather plugin, and I replaced the movie info scraper with some Python one.

Prior to upgrading, I switched my skin back to the default: Estuary just to be safe. But, in hindsight, I don't think I had to do that as using the steps in my prior post, I had to reinstall all my plugins afterwards when I had 10.0.0 up and running.

Anyone ? - please help do actual *upgrade*

There should really be a guide for that.

1. ssh into your machine (username: root, pass: libreelec unless you changed it)

Optional Backup Settings (I have a lot of movies, so I did this to avoid having to rescan and make a new database)

1. "systemctl stop kodi"
    2. "mv /storage/.kodi /storage/.kodi-old"

Optional Backup your Backup in case you screw up some later steps

1. "cd /storage/.kodi-old"
    2. "tar -czf userdata.tar.gz userdata"

Download and install the update (I'm assuming you're doing this on a PC, otherwise, the image file changes)

1. "cd /storage/.update"
    2. "wget http://releases.libreelec.tv/LibreELEC-Gene…4-10.0.0.img.gz"
    3. "reboot now"

Optional Restore Settings

1. The first time you start 10.0.0 it'll have some on-screen questions for you to answer. Make sure you do that first before doing the following steps or you're going to end up overwriting your old settings and then you'll be sad.
    2. ssh into your machine again (after you answered those on-screen questions)
    3. "systemctl stop kodi"
    4. "mv /storage/.kodi-old/userdata /storage/.kodi/userdata"
    5. "systemctl start kodi"

* disclosure: I'm no expert, you're doing this at your own risk!

OK, I think figured it out - posting here in case anyone else needs help.

1. Stopped Kodi, and \backed up my settings

2. Updated Kodi

3. Rebooted

4. Stopped Kodi, copied over the backed up settings, restarted Kodi

This didn't work because the first time you run 10.0.0 it asks you some settings questions before it'll let you do anything. I answered these questions after Step 4 and it blew out my saved settings.

So I repeated Step 4 and now I'm all good.

I'm working off of these instructions:

I would stop Kodi, move /storage/.kodi to /storage/.kodi-old, download the LE10 image file to /storage/.update/ and then reboot. It will upgrade to an empty Kodi install which sidesteps 99% the issues with outdated Py2 add-ons. Then stop Kodi, and move /storage/.kodi-old/userdata to /storage/.kodi/userdata and restart again. DB files should now auto-upgrade and you have all the existing settings etc. for add-ons (once you reinstall them) and thumb caches. Kodi settings may need to be tweaked if stuff changed. Always take a backup and move it off-box first so if something does go tits-up you can always reinstall LE-old and recover.

Everything went well, until I moved the userdata over and restarted. When I restart, none of my movies data or anything seems to be in there - I'm guessing the DB update part is not happenning.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get my settings and data migrated over properly?

I have /storage/.kodi all backed up so I can restore it if necessary.

Thanks

No, because add-ons frequently cause problems in any Kodi major version upgrade and the Py2 > Py3 move from K18 > K19 throws up some extra challenges. Nothing impossible for knowledgeable users to figure out, but the other 98% of our userbase will panic and use lots of bad words. We aren't going to stop people from doing it, but the warnings will stay and if people ignore them; users should expect low sympathy when things go wrong.

That said. I would stop Kodi, move /storage/.kodi to /storage/.kodi-old, download the LE10 image file to /storage/.update/ and then reboot. It will upgrade to an empty Kodi install which sidesteps 99% the issues with outdated Py2 add-ons. Then stop Kodi, and move /storage/.kodi-old/userdata to /storage/.kodi/userdata and restart again. DB files should now auto-upgrade and you have all the existing settings etc. for add-ons (once you reinstall them) and thumb caches. Kodi settings may need to be tweaked if stuff changed. Always take a backup and move it off-box first so if something does go tits-up you can always reinstall LE-old and recover.

Thanks, that doesn't look too bad. I'll give that a try when we're out of Beta. The only add-on I use is the skin so maintaining DB & audio/video settings was my primary concern. I use Flirc for the remote control, so I believe all that is transparent due to use of default key mappings. Should be pretty painless (hopefully) when the time comes.