Posts by poeBaer

Do we need to do anything special to trigger a database update?

I was able to solve the error by running the mentioned "mysql_upgrade" on my MariaDB docker instance. Will have to keep that command in my back pocket, as this was the first Kodi upgrade that failed. All previous Kodi/database upgrades didn't require any direct/user touching of the (same) database (eg. when I went from LE9 -> LE10 it was seamless)

Upgraded my Pi 4 that uses MariaDB from LE10 to LE11 using the built-in settings app, but after the reboot I can now only see my Music library

Do we need to do anything special to trigger a database update?

It's probably possible to use alsa confs to define a multi-channel arrangement that remaps true mono to a multi-channel FC-only arrangement but I don't have any links to share and it's a complete bitch to Google for anything alsa related - all you ever get is a bazillion "not quite what you're looking for" results returned. I'll duck the opportunity to think any further about that idea.

I'm not at all familiar with ALSA, outside of being a simple end user, but is that something that could eventually be auto-configed/make it's way into the GUI (assuming a proper arrangement can be figured out/found)?

I will start poking my nose into more niche areas to see what I can learn about how its config works

My $0.02: Claim the sofa sweet-spot equidistant from FL and FR and then it all sounds like it's in the centre anyway ;)

Sadly I spent way too much on my center channel to not use it, lol. Plus it's got a slightly better/larger version of the ribbon tweeter used in my matching FL/FR. I'd much rather just re-encode to a 16-bit TrueHD track and remux, it gets pretty close in size to FLAC

Anytime I try to playback a video file with a mono PCM track (both FLAC and AAC), it outputs dual mono to my left and right speakers, completely bypassing my (very lovely) center channel. However DD/DTS/TrueHD/DTS-HD MA 1.0 tracks passthrough just fine, and playback on just my center channel like normal. Though if I disable passthrough, it will then output them as 2.0

I'm not sure if this is an inherent Kodi/ffmpeg issue, or a LibreELEC/Linux/ALSA issue, but I'm using LibreELEC 10 on a Pi 4 connected to an Onkyo TX-NR656

Do we know if the 10-bit to 8-bit conversion uses dithering rather than just truncation? Looking at the HLG HDR bars I ran the Rec 2020 tests on, the luminance sweep it looked like it was suffering from truncation rather than dither.

I have a 10-bit native panel in my TV (not 8-bit + FRC)

Out of interest why are you running 0-255 (or 1-254) rather than 16-235 - is it because one source is a games console ? In theory mixed 16-235 and 0/1-255/254 sources can co-exist if their InfoFrames correctly signal their range.

I usually try and keep everything 16-235 for as long as possible to avoid multiple re-scales.

D'oh, I didn't even think it would just truncate instead of dither. I guess I shall wait

I run a mix of consoles and a gaming PC (and a NUC for my main LibreELEC player), so it's mostly been RGB full. My AMLogic boxes (S912 and S905X3) don't seem to trigger any sort of switch, and just washes out videos, so I need to manually switch TV modes when I use them

How "bad" is the dithering to 8-bit? I have a 10-bit FRC panel, so it's basically an 8-bit panel anyway, wondering if I'd even notice the difference, or if I should wait for the 4:2:2 mode/fix

Currently I'm using an AMLogic device/build for my HDR files, but their SoCs don't support full color (0-255), which all my other devices on my receiver are set to, so I constantly need to switch my TV settings back and forth. Would love to just switch to my Pi 4 full time