Posts by phoenix73pt

Wow! Great guide! I will follow these instructions carefully, and I will point to this post if more people ask about this.

Thank you both!

BTW... From your experience, should I get a plain 2,5" SATAIII SSD or a M.2 SATAIII SSD, each paired with relevant USB 3.0 adapter? I don't think there will be any noticeable speed difference; I was just thinking about power consumption to ease Raspberry Pi USB port, since I won't be using external power...

EDIT: Forget it. It seems that M.2 and specially NVMe drives run hotter and are more power hungry than old 2,5" SSDs. I just leave here my conclusion for other users.

I'm sorry if this is a recurrent question; I searched the forum, wiki (and google) for some kind of guide or instructions how to install LE and booting from an SSD, but I was unable to find that. I learned that it's not only possible, but seems to be trivial. Many people are asking about dual boot and other exotic scenarios, but those don't fit me.

I'm planning to create a simple HTPC with a Raspberry 4B 2GB and I would like to boot from a cheap external 120GB 2.5" SSD for added performance, durability, and to have some local temporary storage for movies. It will be used only for the Pi.

1) I'm still trying to understand if I need an external case/adapter with external power, or those that power the SSD from the USB bus will be enough.

2) Is there any guide or set of instruction for installing LE and boot from USB SSD? Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.