Posts by doubleP

Greetings to all of you out there .....

I wanted to update my home cinema and tried several things ..... I started the search for new receivers and projectors and so on.

And while surfing the net I found a little post on another board that seems quite interesting.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiXyqDOu_j6AhVVRvEDHZ6FCmEQFnoECC4QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.homecinema-fr.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F09%2FDenon-HDMI-Diagnostics-and-Troubleshooting-2020_ENG_IM_v00.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2K0wf7Wc1ObjJ5_KEl80HG

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiXyqDOu_j6AhVVRvEDHZ6FCmEQFnoECB8QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.accessories4less.com%2Fmas_assets%2Fmedia%2Fmanuals%2FDenon%2Fdenonhdmi.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0OPSc080Cm20KZJQm3N9a6

These are the links to the Denon manuals. I tried it and got rid off alot of HDMI cables. R.I.P. you cables that causes all the trouble.

Maybe it helps for some of you.

doubleP

Hey that's a nice setup you have there. Considering that typical 4K HDR content is encoded with 10 bit color depth and that current LE release supports only 8 bits and trims the extra bits, have you experienced any trouble with that?

Hi gibbon,

sorry if I explained it wrong. I have 2 Sonys working on 2 RPI 4. A new Sony in my master bed room and the old Sony in my guest room. Both work fine. And no, I have no problems at all. Do I see a difference in the playback between my UHD HDR Player and the same movie as a mkv? Not much. That does not bother me at all. For my BenQ I have a modified colour profile against the washed out colours. That helps alot.

Can I watch movies in a user-friendly way from one NAS in my home .... I can. Can my girlfriend listen to her audiobooks and audio dramas from one NAS in my home .... She can (high WAF .... women acceptance factor).

Can the picture and sound quality be better? Of course it can. It always can get better. But I don't want to buy a Sony OLED-8K-X1.

For me it is the price-perfomance balance what makes it all damn good.

A wonderful start in a new week to all of you ..... and for the motivation ..... it is the last monday this week

Hi dippes,

I dumped them all and bought the original 'Micro HDMI to Standard HDMI (A/M) Cable' recommended by the Rasperry Pi Foundation.

And now it works perfectly.

Buy a Micro HDMI to Standard HDMI (A/M) Cable – Raspberry Pi
    The official Raspberry Pi micro HDMI to HDMI (A/M) cable designed for the Raspberry Pi 4 computer
    www.raspberrypi.com
    offizielles Raspberry Pi 4 Micro HDMI Kabel, schwarz, 1,0m
    Dieses offizielle HDMI-Kabel ist für den Einsatz mit dem Raspberry Pi 4 vorgesehen. Es wurde für optimale Leistung und Funktionalität…
    www.berrybase.de
    offizielles Raspberry Pi 4 Micro HDMI Kabel, weiss, 1,0m
    Dieses offizielle HDMI-Kabel ist für den Einsatz mit dem Raspberry Pi 4 vorgesehen. Es wurde für optimale Leistung und Funktionalität…
    www.berrybase.de

Sorry for the german webshop links, but it is shop where I bought them.

Hi @all,

in my opinion it is all based on the wrong expectations. The RPI boards, Kodi or libreelec are not from big companies. Just out of the box and running.

It is more do-it-yourself. You have to learn alot about everything. You have to read many tutorials, how-to, FAQs and of course alot in support-forums like this one here. The process of learning is really great. And in the end you stop streaming your 4k 24fps Dolby Atmos HDR uncompressed 80GB file via wifi .......and take a ethernet cable. And suddenly ..... it works. And that is just because all your walls or ceilings in your home are made from reinforced concrete and your wifi signal cannot get through or is weak as hell.

And like chewitt said bad PSUs, and cables are a really great issue. I bought lots of HDMI cables and 80 percent of them were not working properly. 1080p was working properly, 4k content was a bad slide show or not working at all. Especially the micro-hdmi adapters at the end of a normal hdmi cable are really great s***.

The little things can kill you .....

But after all ..... when you except the challenge ..... it will work. The guys here do a great job and are highly motivated. And when it is not working now, it will get fixed and will work tomorrow or in a week. Just stay tuned.

My way was a very long way with the RPI4 and libreelec. But now it works. I have 2 55" TVs from Sony with a RPI 4. All working flawlessly with 4K content with HDR. One of my old RPI3+ is working with libreelec as a audio library.

And ..... oh ..... btw ..... my home cinema ..... 7.0.4 .... Denon 6400H .... Sony X-800 .... BenQ W-2000 (will be changed in december 2021)

The RPI4 in combination with libreelec is great after all. It was a long way but now it serves my needs......

And perhaps we should start a thread of other great installations where libreelec is working.

so long .... have fun ... don't give up ..... and always remember .... as long as you are not crying, it is still your first try

Hi AriaTwoFive,

I now use the original raspberry micro hdmi to hdmi cable and it works fine for me. With the little workarounds I am very satisfied at all. I get HDR with more colour in it and atmos sound. Playback is smooth. I can fast-forward and rewind any 4K HDR Atmos movie without any latency. Even the movie playback from any position is working fine. The picture and the sound are straight on the TV. Okay, sometimes my synology has to wake up, that might take a second.

Try new cables as I did. I found out that half of my 'normal' cables are not working properly. Sometimes I had a signal, sometimes not. It was like winning a lottery. Even two identical cables did not do the same thing. And try to get 'fast' cables. The picture might help you .....

My Sony is not switching .... as long as I tell him to do so.

My Sony is working in Cinema Home Mode with 24p switching.

And all movies without HDR are played in that mode.

When my Sony gets a HDR signal, it switches to HDR-Video. Press the Action-Menu key on your remote and go to picture. It is greyed out so can not change it.

But you can change the colour space from 'Auto' to 'BT.2020'. So the colours are much more intense.

I appended some photos with my settings. I hope you can see the difference.

This leads, in my case, to normal videos with colour space 'auto' and HDR videos with bt.2020.

Hi there,

I had the same problem with Denon and Bravia. According to this How-To I had to switch my receiver to 'enhanced'.

HDR PASSTHROUGH NOT WORKING

And if your Bravia is an Android TV you have to activate: Home --> Settings --> External Inputs (select your input) --> HDMI Signal Format switch to Enhanced

I also changed all my HDMI cables because some worked and some not.

Maybe this helps .....

Oh .... I almost forgot, after changing the settings you always have to switch your devices off an on because of the HDMI handshake/sync.