Posts by dadelskrone

I didn't expect I'd have to explain the existence of LibreElec in LibreElec forums: It is there because people want to use their hardware just for kodi without wasting memory and system resources for an opterating system they don't use (and maybe don't trust) for any other porpose than running kodi and want to use well maintained upstream software with continuous security- + bugfixes.

I really don't understand why it would be required to have support from the vendor of a android box for furture support: LibreElec is a complete own operating system which doesn't depend on any other thing then the hardware of the device - that means: if the device (or a similar one) is supported in the upstream kernel - there will be support for the device as well for ages. Because tv boxes are often very similar and Tanix TX6 is supported in upstream kernel and has offical LibreElec support, I think it will work on other tv box as well (especially on Tanix TX6 mini) or can be made working with little effort.

When it comes to pricing:

RPi4 basic version (2G) : 40 US$ (most pepole will need HDMI adapters + usb-c power supply)

PINE H64 basic version (2G): 36 US$

PINE rock64 basic version (1G): 25 US$ (2G version available at 35 US$)

Both H64 and rock64 can be ordered at amazon at slighly higher prices (which is also true for RPi4).

I really do not think that RPi4 is the most competetive (with neither pricing nor hardware (and current software) capailities) when it comes to mediacenter software and there has been lots of efforts by the community to make it work on Allwiner (and Rockchip) with FOSS: that should be considered here if somebody asks which device is the best to use for LibreElec - also the question of future support prefers the these SoCs as support for them comes exclusively from upstream kernel.

I really cannot understand why people here are not getting tired of over-promoting RPi devices even they know, it is definitly not the best device for media playback and overall kodi-experience currently (and will never be looking at the HW capabilities).

Allwinner and Rockchip devices are way better when it comes to currently supported HW decoding capabilities: HEVC (up to 4k), H264 (up to 4k), VP9 (up to 4k, Rockchip only currently), MPEG2 (up to 1080p) and VP8 (up to 1080p). HDMI output up to 4kk@60, CEC is working and hardware deinterlacing is implemented - for Allwinner suspend/resume with remote control is also implemented.

Rpi can't decode H264 correctly in hardware currently (even if it would be working, it will be max 1080p@60, which somewhat like 10 years ago), it will never have VP9 hardware decoding (needed to use youtube 4k), it has no hardware deinterlacing capabilities, it can't output 4k@60 currently, CEC is not (really) working. Besides Rpi is the only device which still uses a vendor kernel, which is full of hacks, that will probably never be accepted upstream - while all other devices are using a version of the upstream kernel (partially with lots of patches, which seem to be somewhat like upstream quality) - it does not even have an upstream u-boot support

Amlogic is far behind when it comes to media playback in upstream kernel - I'm not sure, this will change anytime next (if ever) - there is no active developing community and progress in upstream kernel depends on external funding.

Both Broadcom and Amlogic are known to hide as much as possible of their "confidentials" which makes both platforms really uninteresting for community developers, since there is always something which depends of some blobs.

I'm using a PINE H64 (Allwinner H6) and PINE rock64 (Rockchip 3328) and its working way better than Rpi4 - also without any "config.txt" adaption trial and error attempts - its just working. From the devices you listed: I suggest you to take the TX6 mini which has a Allwinner H6 - Allwinner community is great, very active and responsive when it comes to issues.