Posts by onlyrock

Great write up thank you. I was fishing for any possibility of the pi outputting 4k hdr modes my older receiver likes... Looks like I'm outta luck. On the bright side maybe the 2022 crop of receivers won't repeat the 4k/120Hz compatibility fiasco that apparently dominated 2021.

It appears that most if not all of my HDR10 videos get sent to my receiver using 12bit color. I think the builds prior to 2021.12.18 would send them as 8bit, as I detailed above.

I thought HDR10 used 10bit color. Is that correct? If so, is there a reason LE outputs them as 12bit?

I think my receiver is a generation older than yours, I don't see an enhanced video option. I found a screen buried in settings/general/information/video/HDMI-signal-info that appears to show what's going on. The old LE builds use 8-bit color depth and the new ones use 12-bit, for the demo video I posted earlier.

Both builds go through two phases when playing the video.

Old builds start at "1080p:60Hz,BT.2020 RGB,8bits" then after a second or two switch to

"4k:24Hz,BT.2020 RGB,8bits".

New builds start at "1080p:60Hz,BT.2020 RGB,12bits" then after a second or two switch to

"4k:24Hz,BT.2020 YCbCr,-----". I stop seeing video after the second switch.

So it looks like receiver is unhappy with YCbCr 12bit. I doubt it's a firmware issue. I'll probably need a newer receiver.

I should also mention my config.txt is fairly stock I havent enabled 4k 60Hz. Don't know if I'm missing something.

Thanks noggin it looks like the issue is with my receiver. The newer builds work fine if I plug my pi4 directly into the tv.

Here's an example which exhibits the issue

Samsung Wonderland Two HDR UHD 4K Demo | 4K Media
    Samsung Wonderland Two is a promotional video, filmed across Canada in Ultra-HD HDR, for UHD Samsung 4K TVs. Video Info: Resolution: 3840 x 2160 File size: 802…
    4kmedia.org

My bravia has android tv. It shows me "3840x2160 4k 16:9 HDR(HDR10)" when things work correctly for my test videos, both with the old and new builds. I'm fairly sure Bravia HDR Mode is HDR10 (not HLG) and color space is BT.2020 (not BT.709, DCI, or Adobe RGB). This is based on visually observing the difference between these modes and AUTO. This appears to be the case for both old and new builds... So as far as I can tell both builds are attempting to use the same color settings.

But I think its safe to deduce the newer builds are doing something different that is incompatible with my denon...

According to the links below my denon avrx4300h should be compatible with all the modes. I followed all the troubleshooting steps including using input-cd, updating firmware, etc. Nothing worked for me.

HDR FORMAT COMPATIBILITY

HDR PASSTHROUGH NOT WORKING

Thanks doubleP. I had tried almost all of those things but you know what I didn't do? I didn't reboot after switching my android Bravia HDMI to enhanced mode. So it didn't work when I tried it... and I switched it back to standard... and I thought for a month it didn't work... and then I setup the direct Pi->TV route... for absolutely no good reason. Works now, thanks all!

I've been testing for a few weeks with HDR.

My normal setup is RPi4 -> Denon AVRx4300h -> Sony Bravia. With this setup, I can't get the Bravia to show HDR in 4K. However, if I disable the 4K resolutions in libreelec, then the Bravia will show HDR in 1080p with the same file.

I recently tried hooking the RPi4 directly to the Bravia. With this setup, and the same file as before, the Bravia WILL show HDR in 4K. However this forces me to use the ARC audio back to the Denon. It works ok but the volume is way lower and the HD audio modes aren't supported. (AVRx4300h doesn't support eARC)

Is this something worth troubleshooting in libreelec, or is this maybe a problem with my AVRx4300h?