Posts by SalvatorMusicae

Yeah in my case what was ultimately the Pi's undoing as a HTPC box is that it would work fine 80% of the time but, that other 20% it would get thrown some curveball format (my tv is 720p, i don't care about quality at all i just need it to decode in real time) like 10bit hevc i didn't always have control over, and my only choice would be to convert it down to h264. And if I'm going to do that, i might as well use my phone since it can decode h264 just as well. And that's exactly what i ended up doing, I just reencode everything in hevc to 264, put it all in the cloud stream to my browser everything fine no need for pi.

So anything that can handle these newfangled off the wall formats for television technology i will never own piques my interest *old man shakes fist at codecs*

Hey believe me i understand the power of hdr in fact i saw a quite impressive demo of an actual HDR monitor at siggraph 2003 and spent the next 10+ years wondering whatever happened to it, but i don't have much control over what Google or Netflix wants to send down the pipe and in Google's case it's almost always hevc and opus, the opus part is great it's wayyyy better than any other lossy audio codec but my cheap/ancient hardware (not to mention, browsers that won't play the other company's preferred format) does not abide the video! With the exception of course of my Google ® Pixel ™ with Patented Qualcomm® Broacom® idgaf but i sure as s— don't have access to it as a developer HEVC™ decoding technology