Posts by konakona

On my windows machine, I was able to point the wizard to my self-signed .ovpn to successfully connect to my media server. On my mecool though, I am only given a choice of two defunct webDAV shares for loading the .ovpn file. Local smb share and internal storage wasn't available for some reason.

As per your suggestion, I got my openVPN server installed on my OMV media server and confired it works from a win 10 client. Just need to set it up on the mecool box when I get a chance...

Now, here is a different twist to the same problem: I might as well set up a nextcloud on the media server and serve video files via webDAV. How would this compare to OpenVPN in terms of security/speed? The Nextcloud way would be slightly easier to setup for my friend, as all she would need then is to update the video source address.

Back when I had xpenology working, webDAV shares seemed faster than SFTP contrary to popular belief. That setup worked pretty well in fact but I got tired of worrying about patching up Xpenology and am trying to migrate to OMV.

silly question if you don't mind me asking...

The wiki states it is for 9.2.1 and newer... does that mean having v9..21 or newer installed is a pre-requisite to have any chance of geting wireguard working?

I have a 905W (Mecool M8S W pro) here I am hoping to use with wireguard. Had been using it with webDAV previously but was convinced recently leaving a port open to the internet could be a serious potential hazard.

Not sure which version I have on my box (was gifted to my friend who is still using it to stream off my NAS), but would I have to upgrade LE for wireguard? Better yet, does 905W even have an upgrade path to a new enough version for this? Should I look into OpenVPN instead? Thanks!!