Posts by quack

Sorry about the delay.

In the end the LibreELEC/OSMC route became intractable.

Instead I installed Raspbian, which allowed me to install Zbar (which is more recent than 2009). I then invoke VLC to play the media files. All this happens within a couple of bash scripts. A button on the device shuts down cleanly or starts from power-off. HDMI-CEC is used to control the TV. This is as simple as I am able to make it for my MIL and it works pretty well. She doesn't understand the concept of bar codes so every so often she'll place a normal CD case in the reader with the cover facing the camera.

Speech recognition is not an option because her speech is somewhat unclear.

Thanks for your considered response.

Hi,

I am quite new to this so forgive me if this is posted in the wrong group.

I have an elderly relative who is not tech savvy and only partially sighted. The plan is to use LibreELEC on a RPi, which I have been using as my media player for quite some time. I can use the picamera module to take photos. The idea is to set up the camera so that it is fixed and points at a carriage into which she can insert a card with a picture of the cover of a DVD/CD that she wants to play. A barcode (QR) is superimposed on the cover. The camera is polled every 5 s. If a barcode is detected its value is compared with a list that points to the location of the media file to play. I should be able to send Kodi a command to play that file. There are many other logic steps here but they are not relevant to my current problem.

My main problem is that the barcode decoder that I plan to use (ZBar) needs to be compiled from source. There is no way to do this under LibreELEC, as far as I can tell.

Does anyone have any suggestions for either compiling or decoding barcodes under LibreELEC?

Thank you.