Posts by ilmich

hi Wyk72,

retry with

testing – Google Drive

due to a typing error, fullhd resolutions are not injected.

Maybe there's a "one-size-fits-all" EDID somewhere to inject in the kernel line as I did, to get some "forced" resolutions ?

But what resolutions does your monitor support!?!?

In any case I don't know, I never had to. I think you have to be careful not to overdo the resolutions, because you could ruin the monitor (edid also exists for this).

Anyway if you tell me it works, maybe without fullhd resolutions (which might not be ok for old monitors) but I'll put the patch in the next build.

A thousand thanks

Michele

hi Wyk72 and RuBeN16v ,

from what I remember, the problem is a corrupt/incompatible edid (edid is the descriptor stored in the tv that tell kernel wich resoultions are supported).

When the kernel fails to parse it, sets the resolution fixed (1024x768) with no audio.

I am trying to find a solution, even if it is difficult to replicate.

In any case I advise you to check if is possible to update firmware of TV.

Wyk72, believe me, these boxes when they work are great with libreelec.

The latest versions of mesa (the opensource graphics driver) significantly increase graphics performance. And compared to having a more recent board, with kodi and our boxes the differences are clearly seen.

Just to highlight, that thanks to the new kernel and probably the changes made to the rcu algorithm

kernel/git/stable/linux.git - Linux kernel stable tree

the system has become much smoother even on boards with ddr2 :)

Unfortunately the nand driver is slower than the sd reader, so the optimizations are less evident than on sd card installations.

But I will try to improve it in the next few days.

In any case, long life rk3229: D

temperature is an important thing ... in libreelec 9.2 my cpu reached absurd temperatures .. so I took a lot of patience to find the best settings.

changing the heatsink shouldn't be necessary (and in fact I didn't do it, still getting the same results as you).

let me know how it goes, creating an operating system that runs on multiple boards is my goal, but it's also a hard thing to do and i want to make sure i don't ruin the experience of others.

thank you

Hi oneillb,

in summary, I seem to have understood that by doing as suggested by jock2 (tweaking the voltages of the lower frequencies), your board has become much more stable.

This is a great thing and I thank you for everything you have done. I will definitely do some tests, but since I don't have these problems I ask you to try the following settings

HzμV
    408000000975000 (+25000μV)
    6000000001000000 (+25000μV)
    8160000001025000 (+25000μV)
    10080000001075000 (unchanged)

Basically, since I changed the voltages to make the cpu less hot (the official ones make the cpu heat up excessively) I would like to try to maintain a linear increase.

Let me known

RuBeN16v as for the resolution, please explain better. Can't set gui or playback resolution ?!

In any case, if the TV is old, I suggest to update the firmware to the latest version available. On an old TV of mine, for example, after updating the firmware, more refresh rates appeared.

For other problems, try attaching some logs (kodi and dmesg) because the 8723cs driver is included and maybe there is some other problem. Or, in the worse case, your particular chip is not supported by any mainline driver

markosc please try to be more precise (like oneillb).

for example what build are you using?!?! which device tree?! (if you read in the first post, by default there is a simple one but you can change it later). can you post some logs! ??!

in any case update from libreelec 9.2 to 10 will never works, because they are completely different (legacy vs mainline)

oneillb as soon as I can I try to take a look at your logs. Surely since I focus more on hardware than software, try to play the same file locally (no nfs).

This is because if you have no problems, then you have to investigate kodi (which is not my field, however)

Thank you very much

oneillb, jock2 it's really strange. This kind of errors I catch them with the first versions (buggy mesa driver).

Anyway try this build

testing – Google Drive

I'm working on the next version where

- devices with emmc don't try to load the nand (and vice versa)

- since libreelec is a multimedia system the gpu is fixed at the maximum clock rate (500Mhz)

- updated kodi with some bugs fixed

- updated mesa (gpu drivers)

just try:

- add more debugging info by appending

Code
    debugging cma=256M

on your kernel command line

- launch it from sd card instead of internal memory

Hope it helps

Thank you very much

hi oneillb,

jock2 is right. As I tried to write in the first post, the v88mars has the dmc driver disabled so what you have done has no effect.

However in the last build I introduced a visual feedback (flashing of power led) when using the remote control. This is not only cute but also useful to understand if the box has frozen or not.

In fact, based on my experience, freezes can depend on an incorrect hardware configuration (too high frequency, voltage problems ... etc etc). But your crashes look like software, probably related to some particular case where kodi and the software stack in general fail.

Just to give you an example, I have an sftp folder linked to my nas. Kodi if the nas is turned off becomes slow/unstable, because it tries to connect to something that does not exist.

So what I can do is try to reproduce your problems and keep the software updated.

My suggestion is to try to understand if it may depend on some usb device connected, addon, .. etc etc

And post other logs (also with libreelec debug active). Maybe something comes from there too.

Hi oneillb ,

the driver for 6051p does not exist in the mainline kernel, but with the help of fabiobassa and jock2 we have made a revised version.

Unfortunately, it never worked well for me, not even the legacy one (I discovered it also depends on the accesspoint).

But I've never quite understood the cause, and in any case I know that it works well for some.

I'll see what I can do.

Regarding the crashes can you try to keep the gui at 720p?! I have seen a couple of errors in the dmesg due to insufficient CMA memory. And it could be due to some bug in the gpu opensource driver.

I'm usually use the 720p gui (it's much smoother), but I'll do some tests too.

In any case also try to increase the CMA memory by adding the kernel parameter

Code
    cma = 256M

in the extlinux.conf file.

If you are booting from sd it is easy. You find it in the fat partition.

Otherwise from an ssh session you can

Code
    mount -o remount,rw /flash
    nano /flash/extlinux/extlinux.conf
    mount -o remount,ro /flash

thanks a lot.

What builds did you use ?! Mine or knaerzche's ?!

However the alfawise a8 does not have nand support, so you should try other images.

Unfortunately, unlike the images for Libreelec 10, these are custom for each device. So if NAND support is not enabled for that device, both the bootloader and the device tree do not use it.

You can try with the v88mars which is very similar.

Please note that my builds are a bit more up to date, but in fact consider them not maintained anymore.

Cheers

Michele

hi oneillb,

i'm away from home for a little vacation.

but, wich kind of issue?! freeze or crash?!

Freeze are often voltage/power.. but crash maybe is another thing.

Can you share some logs?? Are you using some addons?! Crash is with some particular file formats?! For example I've noticed some crash with xvid files (maybe lack of MPEG4 hardware decoding)

regarding dtb.. alfawise is similar to v88mars.. try and let me know.

thanks a lot for testing