Posts by fizix

Just wanted to note - i was having the same problems after I got an RPi4 to replace an old RPi3B. They were both plugged into a Samsung LCD TV circa 2015 or so, and cec just wouldn't work with the RPi 4. I tried unplugging the TV for an hour, replugging power and the RPi4, but no joy.

In light of the cable advice above, I purchased an array of different quality (black) cables - including ones rated for 8k video and HDMI 2.1 etc., but switching out the cables didn't make a difference. When I ran cec-client -s -d 1 I could see the RPi4 was talking to the TV and able to see other connected devices, but the cec driver just wouldn't load completely, and so cec remained unusable.

FIX: I also had a firestickHD connected to one of the three HDMI ports. We never use it, so I didn't think to unplug it. I finally got around to unplugging that and then unplugging power to the TV, then powering up the TV with only the RPi 4 installed... and cec on the RPi4 immediately worked. I went back and tried the white Raspberry Pi official micro-HDMI cable and it worked fine too. I then reinstalled the FirestickHD and now everything is working together.

So, before you purchase a new cable, try unplugging all devices connected to any HDMI port on the TV (and probably any intermediate devices, like a stereo receiver), then unplug power to everything you're going to connect back up, and then power the TV, plug the RPi4 into your desired HDMI port, and then power the Pi. You should be good to go, but test it first, and replug all the other HDMI devices only after cec is working.

i've been having this problem lately where the dim screensaver can't be used to turn off the backlight of my samsung TV. i know it worked in the past without any addons or getting more screensavers, but at some point in the versioning from 8.x, the backlight stays on (which is bad for the tv) even when dim is set to zero %.

there are some screensaver addons for the RPi LCD that turn it's backlight off, but they don't work with the samsung tv. there's one screensaver addon that turns off the tv totally, but then you have to physically turn the tv back on (which is again bad for the longevity for the tv). best would be something to send some kind of signal that would trigger the tv to just turn off the backlight.

there could be an issue with the tv settings or the video output settings, but those haven't changed over time (that i know of). the tv's firmware did get updated along the way, and i didn't notice when the backlight wasn't going off right away... but i don't think i'm the only one seeing this as an issue going forward.

i did find another post in the kodi forums about this, but it ended after three posts without a solution.

i also found this thread that talks about setting the backlight level:

Change HDMI monitor brightness (aka backlight) from OSMC/Kodi - Raspberry Pi - OSMC Forums

- which i think could be used to send a backlight = zero command as part of the screensaver, but i'm sort of out of my depth at that point.

in any event, i'd like to know if anyone else had seen this issue, specifically with RPi 3 or higher, Libreelec 8 or higher, and any TV, but especially any recent Samsung TV (best if it is 4k and HDR capable - though i run libreelec at 1080p), or even if they haven't, even with a different tv or a computer monitor.

best, of course, is if someone has figured out a way to get it to work, perhaps with an addon.

any help or commentary is welcome, thanks!

you could do static for wired and dhcp for wireless... or vice versa.

there might be a way to detect context of connection, or revert to static if dhcp doesn't get negotiated by a certain time.

perhaps the easiest would be to have your pc run a dhcp server on the interface you're using to access the rpi...

I've searched through the forums and there's a thread about locking out the kodi settings, but that's not my issue.

i go into the kodi settings and set the master lock to enabled for everything but music and settings, then exit, and master lock works as you would expect. once i reboot, however, master lock reverts back to not enabled.

am i missing something in the LibreElec settings, or is this a bug?

i prefer to use the master lock, as opposed to profiles, mainly because i've never used profiles. if profiles is the way to go (I want to limit the kids profile to music only, at least at first), then i'm willing to try that instead.... though i think master lock should work.

thanks for any help.