Posts by rubenvb

I feel ridiculously stupid, but my problem was that the linux-qpi-headers package on Archlinux ARM does not match the regular kernel version. There was probably a difference in some constant that my kernel gave another meaning to (see the "type 9" vs "type 10" in the good and bad logs I posted above.

Installing matching linux-api-headers and just rebuilding everything as I was doing (so linux and ffmpeg with the LibreELEC rockchip patches for linux 6.2.x) accelerated HEVC now works like a charm.

Thank you again LIbreELEC devs for maintaining these patches for already so long for this trusty little ARM chip.

Hi robertoj,

I have just Frankenstein-extracted the LibreELEC SYSTEM partition and by bind mounting /dev, /proc, and /sys, chrooting into the extracted directory, and running /lib/kodi/kodi.sh I could get Kodi to run, audio and video and all, and I could effortlessly play an HEVC file.

This means my patched 64-bit kernel contains all the necessary and correct bits to play back HEVC properly, and the problem as you suspected lies with either ffmpeg or kodi.

Since building kodi with (patched) ffmpeg in-tree is such a hassle, I am reworking my kodi build to use a system installed ffmpeg which I can patch and replace more easily.

Hi everyone,

I really appreciate all the RockChip work done here, but LibreELEC as a distribution does not fit my needs.

Therefore I have created packages for my distribution with the LibreELEC patches and keep kernel+Kodi versions aligned with LibreELEC insofar the patches apply and work.

Currently I am running LInux 6.2.2 (patches for 6.1.2 applied cleanly), Kodi 20.0, FFMPEG 4.4.1-Nexus-Alpha1 (LibreELEC patches which seem to be for 5.1.2 apply cleanly here too).

I have most things working fine, except that I cannot seem to decode HEVC content which does work on LibreELEC when I checked last week.

For the kernel, I have applied these patches:

https://github.com/LibreELEC/Libr…s/linux/default
    For FFMPEG; I applied these patches:
    https://github.com/LibreELEC/Libr…s/v4l2-drmprime
    https://github.com/LibreELEC/Libr…es/v4l2-request

My build scripts can be found here (the FFMPEG patches I integrated into Kodi's FFMPEG build as that is how my distro builds kodi):

linux-rockchip-PKGBUILD/PKGBUILD at master · rubenvb/linux-rockchip-PKGBUILD
    PKGBUILD and patches for rk3399 linux build. Contribute to rubenvb/linux-rockchip-PKGBUILD development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com
    kodi-rockchip/PKGBUILD at master · rubenvb/kodi-rockchip
    PKGBUILD and related files for kodi on my rk3399. Contribute to rubenvb/kodi-rockchip development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com

I have an old Kodi log of mine (Kodi 19.0 Alpha,FFMPEG 4.2.2, Linux 5.7.0) which shows the HEVC decoding working: kodi_working.log

It goes on to probe the various devices, set up the pixel format yuv420p10le, and continue on its merry way.

Currently, running the above patched binaries, I get the story in "kodi_broken.log"

For some reason it can't set the format it wants on the v4l2 device.

Note: this latter log is produced by trying to play a file that plays correctly under LIbreELEC.

Is there some Kodi or FFMPEG or Linux configuration that might cause this difference?

Aside from sifting through LibreELEC patches, I have tried:

• ensuring there is only one /dev/videoN device (rkvdec, and well, rkvenc but that one should be skipped...) by unloading the other modules (rockchip_rga, rockchip_hantro, rockchip_iep)
    • Checking the v4l2-ctl output through v4l2-ctl: v4l2-ctl.log

I will try using FFMPEG 5.1.2 but I fear that won't make much difference, as I've had this problem for quite a while (since right after the "kodi_working.log".

Any help is much appreciated!

PROJECT=ARM DEVICE=ARM-ALL ARCH=aarch64 PLATFORM=RK UBOOT_SYSTEM=rk3399-nanopi-m4 make image

Thanks, that did the trick.

I wanted to evaluate the mainline/LibreELEC/your status with respect to two things that are completely eluding me in my setup:

1. 4K resolution output. My edid seems to report 4K modes (e.g. CEA 93/94/95/98/99/100 are 2160p24/25/30 resolutions) but I can't seem to get anything (e.g. the kodi UI itself) to output at those resolutions:

2. HDMI audio passthrough (Dolby, DTS, TrueHD, Atmos). I've had my best trial run with @Joern-p's builds, but they are still on the Rockchip 4.4 kernel with some minor patches. The only thing that didn't work there was one of the HD audio bitstream formats (be it Atmos or TrueHD, I don't remember).

Unfortunately, the freshly built image does not want to boot on my NanoPi M4 from SD card. I have no means to actually debug boot issues so I'm just going to hope you (or someone else) can comment on the above two issues and perhaps point me in the direction of patches you use to make this work (if at all). Thanks!

I tried building your arm-master branch:

GitHub - 150balbes/LibreELEC.tv at master-arm

But it failed on u-boot-scripts:

The log isn't very informative either:

This is on Archlinux, and I have built e.g. the @Joern-p's 9.2 beta before succesfully.

Current LibreELEC master branch also fails for me, but this due to patches failing to apply on the kernel (which I think is a step much later than the one failing here).

Any idea what it might be?