Posts by macmpi

I noticed some potential networking issues with v6.95.2.
    Indeed my pi is connected to my network via ethernet through a switch: under v6.95.2, it warns about collisions on that specific port (continuously blinking amber).
    I do not remember seeing that with previous version (would need to be confirmed), but surely that is the only distribution that generates so many collisions.

Has this been noticed by others?

Did not have it on Kodi v16.1 “Jarvis” RC2 on Mac.
    BTW, foreign language had to be installed afterwards through repo, and activation was performed automatically (and properly saved I guess) at installation.
    Maybe issue comes with distributions that includes pre-packages languages?

One thing you may find is it's impossible to update the image in the normal fashion (dropping tar files into the update folder and reboot).

Well, I incidentally discovered BerryBoot has some update procedure for OpenELEC if you refer to:
    berryboot/buildroot-2015.02/package/berrybootgui2/init

I did not test yet, but should work fine: update is just a matter of changing the older SYSTEM file by newer anyway.
    The only potential issue I see, is that SYSTEM drop-in does not remove the lib/modules directory: I guess Berryboot's own directory would supersede it.

I imagine something pretty similar would work equally with LibreELEC: one may need to pitch that to BerryBoot owner.

Ok, took the plunge.
    It seems like the file named SYSTEM in the image FAT partition is actually a squashfs partition, and the other ext4 partition is nearly empty.
    Therefore, I tried to install this sole file onto BerryBoot, just renaming it LibreELEC.img160 (160 is to signal GPU mem smplit), and it seems to work fine.

More tests would be needed, but it looks good, and then fairly simple to use LibreELEC with Berryboot.
    Any feedback welcome.

PS: as a good measure, it's better to unsquash it and re-squash it discarding /lib/modules folders as this is provided by Berryboot.
    $ mkdir unsquashed_image_dir
    $ cd unsquashed_image_dir
    $ unsquashfs path_to/SYSTEM
    $ sudo mksquashfs squashfs-root/ converted_image_for_berryboot.img -comp lzo -e lib/modules

Those instructions look pretty easy, any reason you can't create them yourself?

Hi,

2 main reasons for asking:
    - I looked at it in the context of Libreelec, and it seems the image that is currently built is not in a common form, for which this tutorial has been built. Indeed the FAT partition has a 116MB SYSTEM file which might be expanded in the ext4 partition after first boot. ...Or it is a different mechanism (squashfs that is mounted each time, etc)
    I thought it would be more productive to ask people in the know, instead of doing some reverse engineering and guesses.

- Even if it had been as simple as follwowing the tutorial (which I did for other instances), releasing such image from start would potentially help several users (as it does with Openelec). Even more if the process is more complex or less "standard" due to the way the system is packaged.
    Some Openelec potential switchers may be leftover if such feature is not available.

Thanks for your consideration.

Hi,

Would be nice if you could generate Berryboot squashfs images for each RPi releases (a bit like OE is doing).
    This is very convenient for testing and having multiple distributions on same SD card.
    More info can be found here in case

Thanks!