Posts by charliemka

The gpu_mem=512 crashed the hevc movie playback with every movie I tried, so I reverted back to 320.

I have carried out extensive tests with different downloaded hevc movies and with the Big Buck Bunny test video converted to hevc with different quality/bitrate settings. Based on the tests I think the RPI4 can play hevc videos smoothly with video bitrates below 80 Mbps, above 80 Mbps the playback stutters. Somewhere above 100 Mbps the RPI4 gets unresponsive and freezes.

Unfortunately lots of movies are converted/remuxed with parts or the whole movie above 80 Mbps, and the RPI4’s SoC is not capable / not powerful to play them.

if you have a direct link to the movie that wasn’t working, i could give it a try on my pi?

Do you also have the 4GB RPI 4?

update: solved

Ok, the dmesg output helped in troubleshooting the issue. For me h265 plays smoothly after setting the following parameters in config.txt:

config_hdmi_bo ost=8
    force_turbo=1

gpu_mem=512

(remove the space in bo ost, it’s a censored word...)

Perhaps not all three settings are required, but at least force_turbo must be set to 1. Got the solution From a post here: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Buster - Page 6 - Raspberry Pi Forums

———-

Original reply:

increased gpu_mem to 512. It seemed to go better, but eventually Kodi started hanging again. I did notice the following in dmesg right after the screen went blank:

[ 116.700030] [vc_sm_ioctl_alloc]: failed to allocate memory on videocore (status: 0, trans_id: 53)

[ 116.700050] [vc_sm_ioctl_alloc]: failed to allocate "CGPUMEM" data (-12) - type 1, base 17121280 (17121280), num 1, alignment 4096

I'm having the same problem om my RPI4 4GB system. I'm using the jellyfish sample: Jellyfish Bitrate Test Files as linked to in the Kodi wiki. That sample is stored on a WD Elements 4TB HDD, connected to the rpi4 via one of the USB 3.0 ports. There is one other USB2.0 port occupied with a Logitech unifying receiver.

---------

Update:

New log where I waited for a long time before issuing a reboot command:

Paste.ee - View paste 4kKTs

Note that I could not use pastebin since the log is too large.

Screen goes blank but Kodi seems to keep on running.

Actions:

• Browsed to movies, selected the jellyfish movie
    • Upon starting, the screen went blank immediately around this moment: 2019-12-28 14:37:37.116 T:2530202480 WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer
    • The log kept on going, so the Kodi was still up
    • Waited for a moment, and then pressed the 'stop' button on my TV remote, which is connected via CEC to the Kodi. The log shows it recognized the stop button and the video stopped playing!

The screen remained black however, and the kodi web interface was unresponsive. I did issue a reboot command from SSH. It took a while but eventually the system rebooted. I think it is very strange that CEC seemed to keep on working, but no video output was sent to my TV. Checked the temperature using /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp but nothing strange came up (running steadily at 47 degrees Celsius.

---------

Previous log

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Note that the screen went blank here:

2019-12-28 14:01:30.523 T:2564035440 WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer

After that I issued a shut down command from the kodi web interface, so I guess the last lines do not really matter a lot.