Posts by callagg2

The short story ...

I tried to find a build solution for my devices to run the current stable version (v9.2.6) on them, because official support for Amlogic devices ended with version 9.0.2, at least with the old kernels. And the new mainline 5.x kernel still lacks some features to make it suitable for daily use.

Currently supported Amlogic SoC families and devices:

4. Amlogic Meson6 (AML8726-MX) SoC on Linux kernel v3.10.108 (LTS):

• WeTek Play (1G/4G) a.k.a. WP1:
      The device image is based on the officially supported version 9.0.2.

Driver addons: not available.
    Maximum supported resolution:
    1080p @ 60Hz.

WeTek Play image: Index of /WeTek_Play/ - Latest version: v9.2.8 (2021-07-18).

Works great on Wetek Play 1, thank you

I used the instructions here RE: Wetek play 1 cant update to 9.0.2 except changed

Code
    wget http://releases.libreelec.tv/LibreELEC-WeTek_Play.arm-9.0.2.tar

for

Code
    wget http://libreelec.dtech.hu/WeTek_Play/LibreELEC-WeTek_Play.arm-9.2.8.tar

Hi,
    Not sure what description i can give to help further other than the following...

When i started up my raspberry pi, it performed an update to 9.2.6.
    Fine, no error messages appeared on screen, so seemed to update fine.

But when the OS booted up, my CPU usage shot to 100% and remained there.
    I've disabled the main add-on (Radio.de) but that doesn't seem to have solved it even upon reboot.

The CPU is still staying very high, even when nothing seems to be running.

Attached is my log, not sure it will help, but maybe someone could understand what is wrong,
    and help me bring down the CPU usage to a level where the screens aren't hanging :)

Code
    Kodi (18.9 (18.9.0) Git:newclock5_18.9-Leia). Platform: Linux ARM 32-bit
    Using Release Kodi x32 build (version for Raspberry Pi)
    Kodi compiled 2020-10-24 by GCC 8.3.0 for Linux ARM 32-bit version 4.19.127 (267135)
    Running on LibreELEC (official): 9.2.6, kernel: Linux ARM 32-bit version 4.19.127
    FFmpeg version/source: 4.0.4-Kodi
    Host CPU: ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l), 1 core available

The demod chip is from Availink and we have now direct contact with them and they are (or were, no updates since the summer) working on a public release of their previously closed-source drivers and we/me persuaded them to publish under GPLv2 to things can eventually go upstream.

Yes, I see the last bit of work was in July
    Commits · availink/amlogic_meson_dvb4linux · GitHub

(hope for their sake the reason for the everything going quiet is that they were just pulled onto another project and not anything more serious!)

Thanks again for the feedback, appreciate it, as for some of us this stuff is confusing ;)

Plan A: afl1's current work forward-ports the legacy Amlogic/Android dvb approach using the kernel backporting technique (media_build). It works but some people (not me, but kernel maintainers whose opinions count) consider this approach to be inappropriate as the legacy Android approach does not follow kernel standards. It's not impossible for afl1 to adapt his code, but this will take some time and effort and will require persistence and a willingness to accept feedback. So far he has only submitted one small fragment of code to a kernel mailing list. That was back in January and the maintainers made comments which received zero response. If he has any interest in seeing his work upstreamed (and sending the patch would indicate that he does, or did) communications will need to improve. If afl1 needs help with the upstreaming or communications there are numerous people who would like to assist. All he needs to do is ask for help.

Plan B: There are also funded commercial projects in the Amlogic ecosystem with requirements for mainline kernel DVB support so even if afl1 shows no further interest in sending code upstream; at some point a professional developer will be tasked to write and then upstream something that meets the required standards. This will not happen quickly as there are many code packages in those commercial projects with a higher-priority, but eventually it will be the top item on someone's to-do list and I am confident that it will be done.

I'd personally like to see the work done by afl1 be adapted and absorbed for the benefit of all, but I also see dvb support as a minor feature. Our overall experience as a project shows that the majority of users prefer USB tuners or independent network-based tuner devices as they are client-device agnostic, usually deliver better results, and are better long-term investments.

Chewitt,
    As someone who understands this stuff
    - are these developments in Kernel 5.10 by vidtv
    kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git - Linux kernel source tree

kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git - Linux kernel source tree

likely to make it easier it easier for companies such as Mecool to upload their DVB driver to the Linux Kernel in the future in your opinion?

I know, I know, your last line suggests there is little interest in internal tuners compared to "USD tuners or independent network-based tuner devices" ... but I gotta hold out hope :)

At this stage, I think I'm resigned to installing Libreelec on my old WeTek Play 1 and put TVHeadEnd server on it,
    then installing Libreelec and TVHeadEnd Client on my Mecool K7.
    The one annoying thing of course is that Wetek put two satellite tuners on the Play 1 instead of a satellite and a terrestrial tuner.

CvH Is there a way to activate a usb tuner? tbs5520se or even tuner mecool AVailink avl6862.:?:

Unfortunately, doesn't look like it will happen for Mecool dvb tuners. It's a shame the Chinese company wouldn't sponsor projects like libreelec/coreelec for this work - though I understand they only care about android not Linux.

In Coreelec, afl1, the guy familiar with dvb tuners has left the project so there is no-one knowledgeable about them to work on them.

http://%20https//discourse.cor…support/7156/37

It's debatable - what do you really need in 9.2 that you can't get in the current 9.0 builds?

Odroid_C2 – LibreELEC

Your Odroid contains a Mali 450 GPU - and we see that as that GPU is being used for the Pine phone/tab PINEPHONE | PINE64, so as the open-sourced Lima version of the driver is still getting updates, it's still improving. However there will never be hardware decoding of VP9/H265.

As Chewitt says here, Meson 8* Lives!, there is work being done on Meson 8 which is what your Odroid uses (Amlogic s905). You can see in the link Chewitt provides in the last post, as recently as June 30, a test build was done by xdarklight Branches · xdarklight/linux · GitHub. So, nothing for the near future, but there might be community builds.....

As for getting a new device, do you really want to get a device now with a GPU that will be unable to decode AV1 video files that will be everywhere in a year or two. Personally I'm waiting for something like the Mecool Pro III with satellite/cable DVB tuners and AV1 hardware decoding (and obviously VP9/H265).

the folder 9.2 contains builds for LE 9.2 (currently 9.1.002)

- we have there no AML anymore (till LE10 with proper new drivers/kernel) so there are no builds for LE9.2 based at aml

the folder 9.0 contains builds for LE 9.0 (currently 9.0.x)

I know the Wetek Play 1, having an Amlogic AML8726-MX chip, is not supported on newer versions of Libreelec,

but i just wanted to experiment with it :)

Using the Libreelec 9.0.2 build from here libreelec-wetek_play.arm-9.0.2.img.gz

and the TVheadend build from here 4.3-1774-01.03.2019

I can get the TVheadend server working fine on my Wetek Play.

I can now view the various channels on my laptop - by logging into the TVheadend server residing on my Wetek Play.

and I could also view the channels using TVheadend Client 4.4.10.1 on my raspberry pi 2 (it runs Libreelec 9.2.0)

But i can't seem to be able to run TVheadend client on my Wetek Play (the only client available in the repository is 4.4.18.1)
    - the message i keep getting is that "TVheadend client is refused access to server", and device hangs on "PVR manager is starting up"
    I tried leaving the default http connection in the settings at 127.0.0.1 but that didn't work,
    and I tried using the same URL as my laptop, including using the same username/password, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?