I actually had a similar issue with my NUC and my Yamaha receiver. I have the NUC connected through HDMI to the receiver which is then connected by HDMI to to TV. I always keep my NUC turned on, even when the receiver and the TV are off. What would happen after a few hours of having the receiver and tv off, is that libreelec would forget that i was connected to the receiver, so all HD codecs would not play. It turned out to be an EDID issue, and i fixed it with a custom EDID following the instructions in the link below.
Custom EDID [LibreELEC.wiki]
Basically, just SSH into the NUC and run "getedid create". It is important to turn the receiver and tv first, and only then turn on the NUC. SSH into it, and run the getedid create script. Reboot, and it might fix your issue.
I can confirm that after installing the locale addon and changing it to en_US.UTF-8 on the addon's settings, emulationstation now runs normally.
i've tried setting the locale in the /storage/.profile which now looks like this:
Typing locale now gives me these results:Code
LANG=en_US.UTF-8 LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8" LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8" LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8" LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8" LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8" LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8" LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8" LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8" LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
Unfortunately, i still get the same error when starting emulationstation