Posts by pen2paper

Hi, I'm hoping for some advice, please.

The issue seems to be related to VC1 MKVs. With every file I've tried, the image is about a second ahead of the audio. I've tried alternating resolutions, passthrough, adjusting refresh rate, interlacing, etc. Nothing seems to make any difference. I've also tried adding the VC1 and Mpeg Foundation decoding keys, but the issue remains. Neither H264/Mpeg seems to have a problem with playback so far.

Grateful for any thoughts on why this might be happening. I'm using 10.0.2 on a Pi 3B. Not at all sure why, but I just couldn't get my Pi 4 to run LibreElec smoothly, at all. Even navigating menus was sluggish, let alone attempting to play VC1, hence reverting to the 3B.

That said, thank-you to the team for your continuing hard work!

Hello, I'm having some difficulty in connecting a four-drive HDD dock to my Raspberry Pi 4 running Kodi through RetroPie. The workaround has been to install LibreELEC on a second card which works very well, and is able to recognise the dock and read/write just fine. If possible, given how markedly Kodi behaves in each instance, I'd like to try and figure out why the two setups react to the dock so differently (both using most up-to-date software).

All three drives are in good working order, and are recognised by LibreELEC and Windows 10 machines. Yet, when running Kodi through RetroPie, not all of the drives are even recognised when connected. Usually, two out of three of the drives appear in File Manager. Only once, were all three recognised, and media was scraped as usual. When the Pi was rebooted, one of the drives disappeared again, and frustratingly, all of the media paths became 'scrambled' requiring an incomplete rescrape...

This seems to be down to how Kodi through RetroPie, and Kodi through LibreELEC deal with external USB connections. One example, is when adding a media source through LibreELEC, Root Filesystem will conveniently list all attached drives by their label. Kodi through RetroPie, on the other hand, provides a long list of usb, usb0, usb1, usb2, etc, and appears to assign a stricter drive path that, if for any reason becomes interrupted or amended, seems to shift all other recognised drives to the next available path, most often requiring a complete rescrape.

I'd be very grateful to learn more on how LibreELEC recognises external drives, and if this functionality could somehow be implemented into RetroPie. Cheers!

Ah, hidden files & folders was unchecked. Downgrade to 9.2.3 appears to have been successful, so many thanks again. Now, to try and find out why I can’t upgrade without losing picture. Shall back everything up and possibly start afresh.

Hello, I tried manually updating to today’s most recent release, but have now lost all picture from my Pi4. I’ve tried a couple of different monitors, each with the same result. On boot, I get the rainbow-spectrum screen, then blackness, and finally, the startup sound when the menu kicks in. Is there any way I can remotely trigger some back-up commands, or reset my default image settings, please? Thanks in advance!

Hello, I’d like to try and get live TV up and running on my Pi4, but can’t seem to find the best way to start. I have a Peak brand DVB-T dongle connected to an aerial, which I have plugged in via USB, and also installed PVR IPTV Simple Client, but am not at all sure how best to proceed. I’m not even sure if this particular dongle is compatible, but was wondering if I could please ask for some advice. Cheers, and here is what I hope I can get working soon...

PEAK DVB-T DIGITAL TV USB STICK 203244AGPK: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Sadly, this very frustrating problem still remains. I’ve even tried copying over the edid.dat file from the 3B+, which at first, seemingly corrected the issue, but then, whenever a media file ended, the screen would turn blank, necessitating a reboot. Have also tried a full format, reinstallation and restore of the SD card, but the refresh rate options in System are still greyed out at 59.94. Would be very grateful for any suggestions. Cheers,

Hello, I’ve recently set up a new Pi4 to a 720p/1080i LCD TV, which has always worked fine with a Pi3B+ running Kodi through RetroPie.

Main issue I have at the moment with LibreElec on the Pi4, is refresh rate. The resolution is defaulting to 1080p 59.94, which isn’t great for my needs - lots of tearing when navigating menus, motion blur on video, etc. There just doesn’t seem to be the option as I had before on the Pi3B+ to manually switch refresh rates in System - with only 1024x768p, 848x480p, 800x600p, and 640x480p currently listed as alternatives.

Is it possible to add custom refresh rates, at all? Would be very grateful for any advice.

Also, am I correct in saying the Pi4 doesn’t require the addition of MPEG2 and VC1 codecs, now? I’m noticing some pretty bad tearing when switching between menus in Kodi. Refresh rate option in System seems to be greyed out, and fixed to 60.00, though there are occasions when I prefer 50.00. Can anybody help? Still no sound, I’m afraid. :(

Hi all,

Finally picked up a Pi4 4gb in the hopes of getting a new Orico 4 bay HDD dock to work, with no joy so far.

Worse still, there doesn’t even seem to be any sound coming through the Pi when attempting to play media. Previous Pi3B+ running Kodi through Retropie had little to no issues, certainly regarding sound. Was very grateful to discover that LibreElec was available for the latest model.

Am using a brand new 32gb microSD, loaded with, I understand, the latest Pi4 LibreElec build via the official Win10 installer.

However, compared to my previous setup, I’ve noticed that even navigating through the Estuary skin ironically seems slower than before, with for example, the YouTube app requiring at least ten seconds between keyboard commands.

Also, just in case anybody might have experience with hard drive docks and Raspberry Pi, I’ve been using two Seagate drives for storage, a 3tb and a 5tb, each with their own caddy, and power supply. Independently, they both work fine when connected via separate USB cables, but when combined in the aforementioned dock, the addition of the 5tb seems to prevent any combination of drives from being read. Am now at a total loss in terms of hopefully getting everything finally up and running.

I would be hugely grateful for any advice on the above. Thanks in advance!