Posts by mmpp

Hi,

I cannot reproduce the bug. Using also LibreELEC 7.0.2.005 running from microSD card, I could play back the file without any trouble multiple times.

I tried several HEVC test files after I setup my box (both 720p and 1080p, Main and Main10 profile) and did not encounter any visible glitches yet.

Box: OTT MXQ Pro 4k (p200) with Amlogic S905 Rev.b. TV: old Philips (Full HD)

Can you provide a longer file that always shows glitchy playback on your device? If glitches only happen sometimes and are not reproducable, your board/SoC might have a defect or some chip might be overheating.

To reproduce issue: Play back any "hi10p" anime encode. Sample files: Hi10P Anime Sample files

Debug log: v005 playing back a h264 10-bit encoded sample file:

[hr]
    Image showing visible glitches from one of the sample files. Software decode is glitch-free.

Hi,

amlogic cannot hardware decode main10 profile h.264 video streams, but both the S805 and S905 libreelec versions use the hardware to play them, resulting in artefacts and glitchy playback. Currently, there is only an option to either use or not use the "amcodec" decoder as well as options for chosing hardware acceleration for certain mpeg-2 and mp4 files.

My S905 box played my test files (720p/1080p h.264 main10) fine when I disabled hardware acceleration completely, but I would like to use the hardware where possible.

This problem does not appear on Libreelec/x64 with intel or nvidia graphics. There, regular h.264 files play using hardware acceleration while h.264 main10 play using software.

Is there any way to fix this or at least extend the playback options in settings to force software decoding on h.264/main10 video?

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi,

I use version 005 of your S905 build on an OTT MXQ Pro 4k (p200). With my older Philips TV, the picture goes green or pink from time to time. Apparently, this is some problem with the hdmi handshake and can be circumvented by forcing the hdmi colorspace to RGB.

The odroid community allows this by setting a boot parameter. See Enable bootarg in order to force use of RGB colorspace by PabloCamp0s · Pull Request #1 · wrxtasy/LibreELEC.tv.7.0 · GitHub

Could something similar be implemented for your libreelec build?

Regards,

Magnus

Hello,

the driver used in LibreELEC for legacy nvidia cards is version 304.xx. As discussed on the parent/sister project forum, this has several drawbacks for users of ION/ION2 chipsets. Link:

OpenELEC Mediacenter - OpenELEC Forum - Nvidia driver 340.96 (OE6...OE-X) for ION/ION2 (1/3)

I tested both versions, and while both offer hardware-accelerated playback with the ION chipset, only the 340.xx versions worked properly with European DVB-S and DVB-S2 broadcast streams (high-bitrate interlaced/progressive MPEG-2 576i/576p, high-bitrate progressive h.264 720p and very high-bitrate interlaced h.264 1080i). Problems are most noticeable with hardware deinterlacing turned on. Using HDMI passthrough with my AVR also worked better with the 340.xx version.

Regular local or remote HD/SD progressive material (internet streaming, MKV files) work fine with both versions.

Switching from version 304.xx to 340.xx would leave users of GeForce generation 6 and 7 cards without support, but these cards do not even offer any hardware accelerated playback of videos.

I would also like to mention that nvidia does not officially support the use of hardware accelerated video playback using vdpau on the 304.xx version.

Best regards.