Posts by xleox

Hello,

I have a RockPro64 and I'm trying to boot LibreELEC from an external sata disk (using a SATA to USB 3 adapter) using Tow-boot bootloader.

Everything works but although all audio devices are listed I have no HDMI audio no matter which one I choose. Audio works in the audio output, though. The only issue is HDMI.

If I uninstall the bootloader and boot from a SD card audio I get audio.

Any help would be appreciated.

elonesna hey, thank you so much for your help.

Well, I tried your suggestion but unfortunately it didn't work... the thing is it seems that LE mounts its drives based on their UUID, so I don't think it makes much difference which are their LABELS.

mglae hey man, you're my hero! :)

It seems to be working now. At least I've done some 3 or 4 boots and it's working as expected.

Here, just to compare:

Before

After

I researched a little about this uas x usb-storage drivers and if I understood correctly the difference between them is basically some speed gain, right?

You may consider this thread closed, the issue solved and I really appreciate your invaluable help but, just out of curiosity... is there any way I could load this module before the mounting of the external drive, so that I could keep using it?

Hi mglae, I did what you suggested and attached the corresponding dmesg. The only error I could notice is a couple of attempts of mounting the /storage partition.

And also (from the kernel verbose debug):

Maybe it happens because by the time it tries to mount the external drive in /storage it's not still detected/available?

Hi tokul , thanks for the input!

Well, the thing is I want to use this box as a little home server, you know, not only the "media server" part that LibreELEC provides. So that if I can make it run from the SSD instead of the sd card it would have a better performance for my needs. In fact I'd been using Manjaro with Kodi for some time exactly this way (/boot running on the sd card, / running on an external drive) and was very satisfied. But the problem with Manjaro is that their builds doesn't have hardware decoding as LE does (which, for a media server, is a deal breaker), and also these last Kodi versions from Manjaro have been very unstable to me.

Hey mglae , thanks for taking the interest in the issue and also your prompt reply.

This is a blkid taken after the error msg but before the manually mounting the partition:

Code
    *** Error in mount_storage: mount_common: Could not mount UUID=bb727511-e7c2-43e0-9e76-348957aa1c82 ***
    ### Starting debugging shell for boot step: mount_storage... type exit to quit ###
    # blkid
    /dev/sda1: LABEL="STORAGE" UUID="bb727511-e7c2-43e0-9e76-348957aa1c82" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/mmcblk1p2: LABEL="STORAGE" UUID="8ff85d86-0886-4367-affc-e7e92877481a" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/mmcblk1p1: LABEL="LIBREELEC" UUID="053-4902" TYPE="vfat"
    /dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
    # mount /dev/sda1 /storage
    # exit
    LibreELEC (official): 10.0.2

And this is the blkid after I manually mount the partition and access the box remotely via ssh:

Code
    Nostromo:~ # blkid 
    /dev/mmcblk1p1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL_FATBOOT="LIBREELEC" LABEL="LIBREELEC" UUID="0503-4902" BLOCK_SIZE="512" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="9b35c7c9-01"
    /dev/mmcblk1p2: LABEL="STORAGE" UUID="8ff85d86-0886-4367-affc-e7e92877481a" BLOCK_SIZE="1024" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="9b35c7c9-02"
    /dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
    /dev/sda1: LABEL="STORAGE" UUID="bb717511-e7c2-43e0-9e76-348957aa1c82" BLOCK_SIZE="4096" TYPE="ext4" PARTLABEL="STORAGE" PARTUUID="ccb42155-873d-40c3-82ea-5bb6729d00eb"

In fact I had done that before on a Manjaro installation, the difference being that then I put the /boot content on the sd card and the rest of the files I transfered to the SSD. It worked fine.

Hello all,

I have a RockPro64 and I'm using the image LibreELEC-RK3399.arm-10.0.2-rockpro64 and trying to use a bigger external USB3 SSD to mount the /storage partition while keeping the /flash partition on the smaller sd card so that I could have a better performance with the docker services I plan to run, since the sd card would just be used on boot time, I imagine. I formated it as ext4, labeled it as STORAGE, but the problem is that no matter what I do it won't boot properly.

I changed the file /flash/extlinux/extlinux.conf to point to the UUID of the SSD but when I boot I get the following message:

Code
    *** Error in mount_storage: mount_common: Could not mount UUID=bb727511-e7c2-43e0-9e76-348957aa1c82 ***
    ### Starting debugging shell for boot step: mount_storage... type exit to quit ###
    # 

By the way, on this point if I manually mount the SSD doing mount /dev/sda1 /storage and exit the debugging shell it keeps booting and works normally (which means that everything would work if it was being mounted automatically).

Searching for answers on this forum I found this, then I created the suggested script and adapted it to my needs. In fact it tries to boot, but then I get the following message:

Code
    mount: mounting UUID=bb727511-e7c2-43e0-9e76-348957aa1c82 on /storage failed: No such file or directory
    mount: mounting /storage on /sysroot/storage failed: Invalid argument

Followed by lots of errors due to the failure on the partition mounting.

Based on these messages I believe it's happening because by the time LE tries to mount /storage the external disks (in my case /dev/sda1) probably are not yet available. Is there a way to force them to be available BEFORE it's time to /storage to be mounted?

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

I recommend that you try the latest versions of Buster-legacy-desktop Armbian + media script for Firefly Station P1 (rk3399) \ M1 (rk3328). In it, KODI and Rockchip Gst Player works with HW without any containers (including 4k). Details can be seen at the end of these topics.

rk3399

Armbian and LibreELEC for rk3399 - General - Firefly Open Source CommunityArmbian and LibreELEC for rk3399

rk3328

Armbian and LibreELEC for rk3328 - General - Firefly Open Source CommunityArmbian and LibreELEC for rk3328

Thank you for your interest in this matter, balbes150. It seems very promising, but I can only hope it works with your patches, since I had already installed another Armbian Buster-legacy solution and although HW acceleration worked smoothly neither the HDMI-CEC nor reboot worked properly with this 4.4 legacy kernels (to be able to reboot I had to unplug and plug again the power).

I'll download and test it and let you know if it worked. Thank you again.

hi xleox and anybody else interested in running libreelec in armbian, I think I finally make it working. Seems everything works. I will do more tests and try to make a step by step doc. I will post it here later.

After thinking a while, I believe I was in wrong way bridging LE and armbian with docker. When running container in docker, even in priviledged mode, there are limitations in container. My goal is not to containerize LE, but just to use kodi well prepared in armbian. So, I decide to simply chroot to LE fs, so that kodi can run with full compability as in host. If we want to put some restriction to it by using 'unshare' and 'runuser' commands.

Hey test0x01, these are excellent news indeed. Unfortunately I don't have enough programming skills to implement such solutions by myself, but I'm available to test, if necessary.

No. But I encounter another problem that I can not resolve. The problem for me is that CEC stops working after switching HDMI source. Only a restart of container can make CEC working again. I tried this on many images with no success.

In fact when I read your post I noticed that I had no idea if switching HDMI sources was causing the CEC issue here, so I did the tests and found that it works nicely no matter how many times I switch. Which means that at least here (TV Sony Bravia + RockPro64 + Armbian Focal 5.9.12-rockchip64, but had already tried one of ayufan's image before) the only HDMI event that causes the issue is turning the tv off.

Also, not sure if it's related but I noticed these messages when I start the container (googled it but found no conclusive answer):

Hi.

I have been using this same approach too in a RockPro64, and I must say that everything works very stable (in my case I don't need to turn off the equipment, since I use it as a small server too), except for a small detail.

Like you, I use HDMI-CEC, which works well at the beginning but stops working whenever I turn off the TV. I am aware of LibreELEC's CEC settings, and believe me I have tried to change them in several different ways, but to no avail. Whenever I turn off the TV using the remote control, the CEC stops working and I can only interact with LibreELEC using an alternative (I've been using Kore on my smartphone, but it's far from optimal). It only works again if I reset the container (systemctl stop libreelec, systemctl start libreelec).

Did you happen to have this problem too? Do you have any suggestions on what to do?

Mainline and Nightlies images of RK3399 doesn't support eMMC device block yet.

If you want the eMMC support then try images by balbes150

Hi there Aciel,

Thank you for your reply. I've taken a look but apparently there's no image by balbez150 especially to the RockPro64 board.

Anyway, I've seen a thread referring to a image developed to the NanoPC T4 board. Is this the one I'm supposed to use?

Hi Joern-p,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. You see, the thing is that when I boot with both the SD card and the eMMC module inserted, although it boots normally from the SD card after boot it apparently doesn't recognize the eMMC module (so that I imagine I won't be able to use parted, dd nor any other tool on the eMMC from the running LibreELEC).

In fact, this part of dmesg probably gives a hint on what's going on (I guess mmc1 would be the inserted secondary eMMC module):

I googled it and apparently it's due to some lack of support in kernel to this given eMMC. That would explain why it works on other images (probably Ayufan's is optimized to that specific feature and the RockPro64 version of LibreELEC isn't).

So the problem is I can flash LibreElec image on the eMMC but I can neither boot it as the system disk nor boot it as a secondary disk.

I really don't know what to do now.

Hello there,

I've been using my RockPro64 for a couple of weeks booting from a SD card without issues. The thing is that I've just received my eMMC module and flashed the LibreElec image (based on instructions from the Pine64 wiki) but I got this error when trying to boot it for the first time:

Code
    rockpro64 emmc grep: /proc/net/pnp: np such file or directory  ***
    Error in mount_flash: mount mount_common: Could not mount UUID ...

followed by several other errors and ending up with a Kernel Panic.

First I thought I had a defective eMMC card, but I tried one of ayufan images and it worked perfectly on the very first try. By the way I kept the sd card installation and it keeps booting from it without errors.

These are the LibreELEC images I tried so far: LibreELEC-RK3399.arm-9.1.502-rockpro64 (the latest stable one) and RK3399.arm-9.80-nightly-20191031-cfe1640-rockpro64 (the latest nightly one).

I tried to flash them using both BalenaEtcher (with default configurations) and the following dd line (both on Linux and macOS, and from two different computers):

sudo gdd if=bionic-minimal-rockpro64-0.9.14-1159-arm64.img of=/dev/disk6 bs=4M conv=fsync status=progress

(I've tried a couple of variations, as for example the macOS coreutils gdd and Linux dd, another values to parameter bs, etc. No success).

Am I doing something wrong? Isn't the LibreELEC images compatible with eMMC modules? Could anyone please point me in the right direction?

Hello there. This is my first post and I'd like a suggestion from you people if possible.

I'm about to buy a SBC and that's the usage I have in mind:

Basically I want it to be a media center, so I intend to install. The only services I intend to run apart from Kodi itself are Sonarr, Radarr, Bazarr and Transmission (maybe Jacket or another pkg if necessary, but it's mostly these ones). As for now my TV is 1080p but as I'll get a 4K TV asap I'd like my SBC to be 4k 60fps HDR ready and have HDMI-CEC support (so that I can use the TV remote). The origin of most of the videos I watch is my personal library (attached SATA disk and local 1GB network) and a Plex share from a friend (which I'd like to be able to direct play/stream instead of transcode).

Having that in mind I narrowed things down to two models. Hardkernel Odroid N2 and Pine 64 RockPro64. I spent most of the last weekend comparing their tech specs, accessories, development maturity of the available images, reading their forums, etc, and I must say that they seem to be mostly the same to me. Considering my needs, which one of these two would you indicate to me?

And more:

Considering my usage will the 2GB RAM model do, or I must prefer the 4GB? I'm also getting an eMMC card. Will 8GB be enough?

Thank you and I appreciate any help you may give me.