Posts by thielj

Q96max (S905L, P201, 1GB) (around $10 on Ali) works pretty well using the generic S905 image, including the dreaded SSV6051 WiFi and hardware decoding. I replaced dtb.img with device_trees/gxl_p212_1g.dtb.

Use the "Update and Backup" app to boot into the USB thumb drive for the first time. For that, I simply zipped aml_autoscript in the root folder and selected it in the app.

8)

PS: Some of these boxes seem to use the P281 board instead, so you may want to try device_trees/gxl_p281_1g.dtb as well.

SSV6200 is a newer variant of the SSV6051 chip and also not supported. The SSV vendor drivers are horrific quality (achieving new depths of bad) and do not compile against an upstream kernel, only the vendor kernels. No support means no support.

I might got this wrong, but it looks like there is a "armbian mainline" driver available now for supporting RK based boards:

rockchip64: add ssv6051p wifi driver for current and edge kernel by paolosabatino · Pull Request #4269 · armbian/build
    Description ssv6051p is found as cheap wifi/802.11n only on some older rk3328 boards; some community members asked for it and here it is. Also make some…
    github.com

Hi chewitt apologies for the late reply. Life got into the way.

Attached are the dmesg log and the dtb.img. I didn't save the remote config, but will do next time I hook it up.

Hope this helps. These boxes currently sell in the thousands on Ali, sometimes below $10, with the usual inflated/fake specs.

Also, some boxes have the P201 board, others the P281. The website I linked in the next post lists different stock firmware dumps.

Specs of the "Q96max":

- CPU S905L (most likely -B revision @ 1.5GHz)

- Board p201 (HDMI, 2x USB2, "AV", IR receiver, LED)

- RAM 1GB, Flash 8GB eMMC ("Kingston M72808", not verified)

- LAN 10/100mbit

- WiFi 2.4GHz only (ssv6200 SDIO, using SSV6051P driver, reported chip id RSV6200A0-201311)

Using LibreELEC-AMLGX.arm-11.0.0-box (after a reboot update command), results depending on device tree, best to worse:

- meson-gxl-s905x-p212 -- 1GB, no WiFi, audio seems to get stuck sometimes

- meson-gxl-s905l-venz-v10 -- 1GB, no WiFi, audio seems to get stuck sometimes

- meson-gxbb-p201 -- doesn't boot at all

I haven't checked remote, LAN, LED in LibreElec yet.

It's pre-loaded with Android 7.1. I have captured dmesg and a dump of /dev/dtb and /proc/device-tree and can upload these if necessary. The case doesn't look easy to open so no pictures of the board, sorry. Android uses ssv6051 module for WiFi. dmesg prints out "SSV WLAN driver ssv6200".

Questions:

(1) Is this generally the right image to start with, or is there something more suitable?

(2) I saw "No support for SSV6501" in the release notes - is this the same as ssv6051 or a typo or same family?

(3) It seems that I might need to create a more specific device tree (i.e. meson-gxl-s905l-p201-2gb), and maybe install a kernel module for the WiFi. Any pointers on how to get started with these?

(4) Anything else I can provide?

Cheers!

Hi troggy

any pointers for setting up (1)? I would know how to do create the AP the classic way, but I'm not familiar with connmand.
    Is it possible to only switch to AP mode when there is no configured wireless network? It would make a great OOBE on the Zero.

I had no issue connecting or moving files once I was connected to a USB ethernet adapter or wireless dongle.

Re: USB gadget mode, it's working, but not on the LibreELEC distribution, at least not for me.
    Still new to the Pi so no clue yet how to start debugging this if the only USB port is in use as a USB client device.

Hi, after having used XBMC for 8 years or so, I was quite delighted to see it running from the Zero. However, setting up the WiFi dongle was quite a pain as I couldn't get any of 3 USB hubs to work. Some thoughts:

(1) If wireless was detected, but not connected (and given that the device or driver is whitelisted to support this), how about spinning up a wireless AP and dedicated dhcp server? This would allow taking the device somewhere, plugging it into a screen and connecting to it from a mobile phone.

(2) USB gadget mode support with the ethernet driver would be handy. I could plug the device into my laptop and ssh into it, or copy files into the storage area, etc. This would also allow a simple config tool to setup basic system settings. With a FAT formatted storage area, it would also be possible to present the device as USB storage - probably the easiest way to fill a library from a laptop.

Cheers!