Posts by motorious

thanks for the tip mglae, I wasn't familiar with that command. I ran it and get the same results though unfortunately...

# getent hosts <host1>
    <IP1> host1.subdomain.domain.com host1.com host1.domain.com

The addon I use doesn't use that command (I believe) to resolve the name so even if it did work I don't think it would solve my problem with the addon reaching a specific IP based on the hostname...

Going to backup all of my settings and so forth and try rebuilding from scratch...

Thanks vpeter, I have already tried both suggestions with no luck. hosts.conf updates the hosts file correctly after reboot but a nslookup <host> shows it's using DNS for resolution instead of local hosts file. To add nameserver to LibreELEC settings I had to use static instead of DHCP but even though it still bypassed the local hosts file even when I did that. So frustrating...can't figure it out. It "should" work but just doesn't for some bizarre reason.

Seems no matter what I do it bypasses the hosts file and only uses DNS for name resolution. I have an addon that requires specific name to IP resolution and the DNS my gateway uses (VPN) is not something I have any access to.

LibreELEC 9.0.1 on RaspPi 3+

(didn't work on 8.2.5 either so I upgraded to 9.0.1)

updated hosts file via '/storage/.config/hosts.conf' rebooted

name resolves using DNS provided by DHCP server. It "should" look at the hosts file first per the nsswitch.conf file:

However, when I try to ping it, I get the DNS IP returned instead of what I set manually...

Obviously names and IP's have been redacted to protect the innocent. ;)

I would like to add 127.0.0.1 as a nameserver in my resolv.conf file but it gets overwritten every time I reboot. I'd also like to keep the other three nameservers it gets from DHCP as well.

Any help on what else I can try or look at to get this thing to resolve the name from the hosts file properly?

Tried removing the 'r' from connman.service that I saw in another thread for caching DNS but that didn't work for my case.

TIA!