Posts by gjwAudio

Hi All

Since the SMB1/2/3 change in LE, I cannot get to my LE Root File System folder from Windows (XP... yeah, don't get started on that).

Previous to the SAMBA shakeup, this addition to samba.conf:

Code
    [Root File System]
    path = /
    available = yes
    browsable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = yes

permitted a desktop shortcut like this:

Code
    "\\192.168.1.170\Root File System\storage\.kodi\temp"

to get me into the log quickly and efficiently.

Since the upgrade to LE v8.1.2 beta, I cannot figure out how to achieve this. Yes, I'm using the v4 template provided in "samba.conf.sample", specifying this:

Code
    [Root File System]
      path = /
      available = yes
      browsable = yes
      public = yes
      writable = yes
      root preexec = mkdir -p /

Reading (and re-, re-, re-reading) the "!!! SAMBA / SMB CHANGES !!!" section of the release announcement has not turned the light bulb on for me.

Is this simple access no longer possible ? Please show me the error of my ways.

TIA :)

You should have read the release notes. Remove your old /storage/.config/samba.conf and reboot.

escalade

Many Thanks for theEFFECTIVE tip & remedy.

Deleting the samba.conf file + reboot did indeed restore Windows network browsing capability as before.

Re-reading the Release Notes suggests there's NO WAY for the user to affect the behaviour of the Samba config. Previously I added this to the standard config:

Code
    [Root File System]
    path = /
    available = yes
    browsable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = yes

Is there any way to achieve this under the new regime ?

Thanks again for Help & Support.

Help ! please...

Auto-updated to LE 8.1.1 on ancient 847 NUC (and set Min protocol to SMBv1)... now, can't browse NUC from ancient Windows (XP) Explorer over the network.

After latest 8.1.1 update, trying to map NUC as a network drive gets stuck at "Connect to localhost" login, asking for username/password. Similar failure trying to use desktop shortcuts to specific Kodi folders (ie: "\\192.168.1.170\Root File System\storage\.kodi\temp" ).

Samba service in LE is set to use Password Authentication, but login fails. Tried it without Authentication set too - same result (login fails).

Curiously, Kodi is reporting itself to the network as "OpenELEC (%h)", even though I have changed every settings field I could find to "LibreELEC".

FWIW, the WORKGROUP name has been successfully changed, and survives successive reboots. Also, going in the other direction - File Manager in Kodi can access data on the XP machine just fine.

This loss of this access is fairly disastrous, as I usually administer the NUC through Windows Explorer.

Help and directions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.