Posts by vinistois

It's just a simple MSI mini-itx motherboard with a i3-2100t on it. It has been stable for 4 years, on literally 24/7, and has served up thousands of hours of media without a hitch. It ran OpenElec, then transitioned to LIbreelec, upgrading through the versions during that time without issue.

Never had an issue until 7.95.x

If I upgrade, I seem to survive the first boot and everything is ok. Upon reboot, I get either graphical glitch (along with a freeze) or just freeze on the loading screen.

If I clean install, it never makes it past the loading screen. Rolling back resumes normal operation.

I don't see how this could be a hardware problem. There hasn't been a bios revision since the year the motherboard came out.

I have a good-working system built on an i3-2100T (2nd gen - sandy bridge) running 7.0.3.

I have tried upgrading to 7.95.x, 8.0, and 8.02. All of them seem to boot up fine *once* after the upgrade, but then will lock up and boot into blank screens after the libreelec logo. Sometimes i am able to get past the splash screen and the screen is all visually garbled up as shown in the attachment. It works for a few seconds then locks up. 8.02 boots into a blank screen every time. This causes a bit of a nightmare as the box isn't available via ssh when it locks up, which prevents me from restoring the backup, so I have to backtrack to 7.0.3 and restore from there.

I would really like to upgrade to the new versions due to the security upgrades, and I'd really like to get 4k youtube working and take advantage of the other new features, but I'm stuck here!

Any help is greatly appreciated. I did get some advice on the reddit forum:

"It might be due to DRI changes. Drop back to 7.95.2 and see if that works better (as mesa defaults to DRI3, whereas 7.95.3 mesa is built with DRI3 support but defaults to DRI2). It's getting harder to sustain a single image that works everywhere due to some inconsistencies in Intel's driver."

However, 7.95.2 had the same behavior as described above.

For others reading this thread, here is what I did:

- used the backup addon in OE to create a full backup, including addon data (you have to enable it in the addon config)

- transferred the backup folder to a network share

- loaded the generic full image of LE onto a USB

- boot htpc from the usb

- attempted an upgrade. The installer errored, not enough room on the disk (this means my OE system partition got too full over the years and there isn't enough room for the upgrade)

- decided to just do a clean install, accepting all the "this will wipe everything" warnings.

- Booted up into LE and downloaded the "backup" addon from the kodi repository

- Restored the backup

This took awhile, but seems to have worked. Everything came back (including the audo addon) and works well. Everything feels much, much faster.

I'm sure there was an easier way but just sharing what I did and confirming it worked!

So you didn't even have to re-install your addons? It updates your existing installation? Did it automatically import your library?

I have a small build based on an Intel i3-2100t that has been running on OE for several years. It has started stuttering a bit on local sources. Looking into updating it, I have discovered the community is switching to LE.

Can I presumably migrate from OE to LE without much fuss? Can I backup and then import my db or will I lose all my users and watched status etc?

Does lsellen's audo repo work smoothly on LE, and will I be able to import these configurations as well? It can take sevearl hours to set all that stuff up and I'd rather avoid that if I can!

on OE I had my network drives mounted so that they showed up in the normal "storage" area, so that they appeared local to the addons. I don't entirely rememeber how I set this up, but it worked permanently without a hitch for the past 3 years. I did this to use my fast SSD in my OE machine to do all the temporary storage tasks and save the (slow) NAS for long term storage only. Will this type of setup work on LE?

Thanks!