Posts by Dangermouse

Windows 10 is the other OS. A shown in the attached screenshot of BootICE, that uses partitions for Recovery, ESP/BOOT, MSR, Windows 10 itself and then I've got a Data partition.

In grub4dos terms that's (hd0,0) to (hd0,4) but I believe Linux uses sda1-5.

I think I probably did create the ext3 partition manually, using MiniTool Partition Wizard. I don't know if it didn't have the option to create ext4 or if there was some other reason but I guess it's not relevant to this boot issue.

What command do you use to boot LibreELEC from GRUB?

I can boot into grub4dos on my laptop with a GPT partitioned SSD by selecting Legacy mode from the Boot Menu (after some fiddling) but I'm not sure what I need to use to boot LibreElec.

I tried:

root (hd0,5)

kernel /KERNEL boot=UUID=LE-BOOT disk=UUID=LE-STORAGE quiet

where LE-BOOT is the label for the FAT32 partition (hd0,5) containing SYSTEM, KERNEL, etc. and LE-STORAGE is the label for the ext3 partition (h0,6).

It starts to boot but then says "error in mount_flash: mount_common: Could not mount UUID=LE-BOOT", so I wonder if the kernel can't recognise the volume labels assigned in Windows (confirmed in BootICE and MiniTool Partition Wizard) or if it's the GPT partitioning that it can't cope with?

I also tried:

root (hd0,5)

kernel /KERNEL boot=sda6 disk=sda7 quiet

but that just gave me "error in mount_flash: mount_part: Unknown filesystem sda6"