Posts by andrius

Hello,

I'm trying to set native resolution when viewing on my BenQ MW516 projector.

Initially it starts with 1920x1080 resolution and does not have 1280x800 in its settings.

After trying this:

Code
    xrandr --newmode "1280x800_75.00"  106.50  1280 1360 1488 1696  800 803 809 838 -hsync +vsync
    xrandr --addmode eDP1 "1280x800_75.00"

I can set this resolution, but the projector says the resolution it gets from pc is 1280x1024, and the optimal is 1280x800.

This trick previously worked on my other PCs, with intel or nvidia GPUs. How to make it work on this minipc?

(pp_365007.html?wid=1527929)

Libreelec version is:

LibreELEC (official): 8.2.5 (Generic.x86_64)

Code
    minipc:~ # lspci 
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series SoC Transaction Register (rev 0f)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display (rev 0f)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx, Celeron N2000 Series USB xHCI (rev 0f)
    00:1a.0 Encryption controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Trusted Execution Engine (rev 0f)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Power Control Unit (rev 0f)
    Code
    minipc:~ # dmesg | paste
    http://ix.io/1wbV

I do not know, why it says eDP1, because the projector is connected to its VGA output.

Andrius

I also tried the Asus-T100 firmware you referenced previously - the result the same as with default firmware included in hiassoft build - after alsaucm cofinguration I get a working speaker-test, but distorted sound and unstable Kodi.

Out of curiosity, I also tried to reboot with an empty firmware file:

Code
    minipc:~ # rm .config/firmware/intel/fw_sst_0f28.bin 
    minipc:~ # touch .config/firmware/intel/fw_sst_0f28.bin 

As a result I got dmesg with some firmware loading errors (as expected). Also, video playing was smoth - without any jumps or gui appearances.

But after stopping the movie, it froze at some moment. Maybe some kernel/OS issue?

My ideas/questions for now are these:

1) is it possible to get Kodi talk to audio port just like speaker-test does - using 16 bits?

2) maybe it will be easier to buy an USB audio adapter and make Kodi talk to it instead of baytrail audio? Is it easy to direct Kodi sound to usb? Is there a known list of (cheap) working usb sound cards?

Kind regards

Andrius

Second try - with file from windows driver package: I5qudong/DriverPackage/Installer/PlatformInstaller/Drivers/audio/realtek_fw_sst.bin

speaker-test does not play anything at all - no clicks. Also, there are some errors in dmesg output. The pc probably did not like the firmware...

First try - with local fw_sst_0f28_ssp0.bin:

Code
    minipc:~ # cp /lib/firmware/intel/fw_sst_0f28_ssp0.bin .config/firmware/intel/fw_sst_0f28.bin
    minipc:~ # ls -la .config/firmware/intel
    total 696
    drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          4096 Dec 27 12:41 .
    drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root          4096 Dec 22 18:19 ..
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        701622 Dec 27 12:41 fw_sst_0f28.bin
    minipc:~ # reboot 
    Code
    minipc:~ # cat /storage/.config/autostart.sh 
    alsaucm -n -b - <<EOM
    open bytcr-rt5640
    reset
    set _verb HiFi
    set _enadev Headphones
    EOM
    minipc:~ # aplay pcm\ stereo\ 24\ bit\ 48kHz.wav 
    Playing WAVE 'pcm stereo 24 bit 48kHz.wav' : Signed 24 bit Little Endian in 3bytes, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo

Does not play any music, I can only hear two little "clicks": when starting to play and also when finishing to play.

Same result - no music, just small "clicks".

An interesting test would be playing a 24bit 48kHz stereo WAV file with aplay. If there's a driver / firmware bug it should give the same (or similar) distortions as kodi.

Yes, you're right. I downloaded a sample from here: audiotestfiles.zip

I tried aplay audiotestfiles/sourceCode\sourceCode/WAV/PCM 24 bit/pcm stereo 24 bit 48kHz.wav and it sounded very quietly, way too fast and without any stereo effect.

An additional problem with Kodi is if I do not stop it after booting libreelec, it makes the system freeze - the picture on the screen stays static as it was before the freeze, mouse pointer does not move, ssh on port 22 not responding. Can it happen because of audio fw/driver issues?

I'll try with different firmware files and will post the results here.

Andrius

Hello,

today I tried another one headphone and it seems, that speaker-test now works as expected (after putting alsaucm config into autostart.sh). The other headphones probably had some problems with correct contacts...

But Kodi on this Hiassoft build spoils the sound - after systemctl start kodi the earphones start getting white noise. Also, kodi seems unstable - it struggles to play movies and music. It plays music too fast and very very quietly, it jumps a second here and there, it loops movies unexpectedly. Is there any way to use the kernel with firmware loading from the build like this, but take the kodi from a more stable branch?

Andrius

Before getting any sound I should do:

Code
    alsaucm -n -b - <<EOM
    open bytcr-rt5640
    reset
    set _verb HiFi
    set _enadev Headphones
    EOM

Out of curiosity: what do these "beeps" sound like? speaker-test -t sine should output a 440Hz sine alternating on left and right channels.

By seeing 'sine' I thought it should make some varying pitch sound. Only after a while I remembered any sound is some kind of sine :)

Those beeps are fixed-pitch sounds in both ears at the same time. If I set -c 1 then it plays same beeps in both ears, just quieter.

I also tested with some mono wav from internet:

http://www.mauvecloud.net/sounds/pcm1644m.wav

This plays it loud: speaker-test -c 2 -r 44100 -t wav -w /storage/pcm1644m.wav

This plays it quiet: speaker-test -c 1 -r 44100 -t wav -w /storage/pcm1644m.wav

The sound is correct (laugh), just on both ears instead of one.

Also, when I try to play something with kodi, the sound output gets some garbage - some high-pitched distortion of the original sound.

I did not try any alternative firmware. Maybe I'll find some time later today.

Andrius

"Speaker" does not produce any sound on my headphones.

"Headphones" always makes beeps in both ears at the same time, even though the speaker-test says "0 - Front Left" or "1 - Front Right".

Movie playing in Kodi just makes some strange noise.

But the beeps are definitely a big progress when comparing with the complete silence :)

Any ideas - what can I try now?

Vielen Dank Matthias!

Andrius

_enadev and _disdev give me some errors.

I'll try to read some docs about them.

Still no sound after speaker-test.

How do I try different firmware?

Andrius

minipc:~ # dmesg | paste

http://ix.io/1wka

minipc:~ # cat /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi.log | paste

http://ix.io/1wkb

Still no sound output.

dmesg: http://ix.io/1wdi

kodi.log: kodilog20181217.zip

Andrius

I unzipped the windows driver package I got for this device. The directory /DriverPackage/Installer/PlatformInstaller/Drivers/audio/ contains the following files:

isstrtc.cat

isstrtc.inf

isstrtc.sys

realtek_fw_sst.bin

rtii2sac.cat

rtii2sac.inf

RTII2SAC.sys

Maybe this realtek_fw_sst.bin can useful?