Posts by diplomatic

You are always going to be limited to USB2 write speeds with SD cards since this is the interface bottleneck on most systems. A decent speed eMMC can have much higher access speeds and should have a much better pathway to the CPU/GPU. For me installing to emmc is always worth it unless you have a particularly crap eMMC.

No, actually SD cards are not accessed over USB. The SD card interface is basically the same protocol family as eMMC. (As is the wifi chip, believe it or not.) The SD I/O pins are connected directly to the SoC like emmc is. Linux uses the same driver to talk to both emmc and external sd. Now there may be a bottleneck with sd cards, as they don't support all the features that emmc chips do, but the performance should be a lot higher than USB 2.0.

Let us also remember that USB2 speed is from memory about 420 Mbps but that is far faster than even the very best SD cards (around 100 Mbps) for the time being so USB2 speeds are more than adequate. What is the equivalent data throughput speed of the eMMC internal memory BTW. ??

What? You're confusing megaBYTES and megaBITS. You mean SD card speeds are 100 MB/s, right? And real-world USB high speed throughput is ~40MB/s. Doesn't matter what the nominal rate is. SD cards are not accessed through USB anyway, so they should be faster on these boxes, unless there's another bottleneck somewhere...

Hey, wrxtasy,

Thanks for the advice. The Android TV OS is pretty terrible on this box. So it's not worth bothering with it. Nothing works right on it. The UI is extremely sluggish, Netflix doesn't work, Prime Video doesn't work. Playing any h.264 video in Kodi freezes the whole box within a few minutes.(BTW, off topic question: Does anybody else experience this on their M8S PRO W?) I did try the GPU trick manually just now. It didn't make much difference to the UI, maybe a little. It was still pretty sluggish. I don't recommend anyone get this box for the Android TV. I have a Fire TV for streaming apps. And for Kodi, this S905W device is second to none when used with LE.

Also, the emmc on this box is very slow, probably a lot slower than my SD card. So using it for LE data doesn't make much sense. My main use for it is to stream 1080p videos with HD audio off of my PC. ;) And talk about the UI speed, it's like the OS 2D acceleration has been intentionally crippled for this chip. How is it that the LE interface is so exceptionally fluid and Android is like a slide show?

BTW, I'm also a developer on XDA, and have learned a lot from your posts there, as well as on the Kodi and the Mi Box forums...

Hello community,

Just wanted to report that, after some needed tinkering, I successfully installed LE on a Mecool M8S Pro W. Thank you, wrxtasy and kszak, for compiling and posting this. In a nutshell, Kodi on LE is a light-year ahead of the Android version.

I also want to report a problem with the gxl_p281_2g.dtb device tree. The problem is that, well, it's just an exact copy of the gxl_p281_1g.dtb file. It did not work on my 2gb S905W device. (Just got stuck at boot logo.) There are no provisions for 2gb RAM. So, long story short, I ended up fixing the 2g DT by comparing the 1g and 2g DT blobs from my device and applying the changed bytes to gxl_p281_1g.dtb. There were only 3 or 4 instances that needed to be applied. In the end, it worked like a charm. I'm attaching my gxl_p281_2g.dtb here.

There's also an issue with the ssv6051 driver. The kernel keeps spamming the log with these things...

These cycles of lines are written many times a second. When I remove the driver with modprobe -r ssv6051, the spam stops instantly. I don't use wifi on this, so I can't speak for how the driver works in general.

gxl_p281_2g.dtb