Posts by Tigro

Yeah sure, that's why I'm asking about boxes with the possibility to install LE, not just install kodi on the Android that comes preinstalled in the box. I am aware both of the support problems and of just how much performant Kodi on LE is on these boxes than it is on their Androids which come with tons of junk preinstalled and generally aren't the smoothest user experience there is.

Just did some browsing on these cheap boxes and it seems like nowadays most of them are powered by RK3318 CPU (or some derivatives) which don't seem to have an official LE distro. So are there no new boxes in this price range that would be capable of running LE?

Thanks for all the replies. Isn't there really nothing that would fit the bill from the "regular" android tv boxes though? Honestly I'd rather not have to do with completing the whole set for rpi (buying the chip itself, then the case, then the remote...) if I could do it other way. I really liked the ease the Nexbox I have offered in that a) Android was already preinstalled, b) it came with all the accessories in the box already (the device, remote, ac adapter) so all I had to do was install LE for the dualboot and I'm done.

You will not get a noob-friendly device for that price - you want the best of both worlds. :saint:

If you forget about the price, then the Nvidia Shield TV is the noob-friendly device #1. It runs Kodi (not LE) and Android perfectly.

If it has to be under 50$, then buy a Raspberry Pi 4B (sub-version: as much RAM as you can afford). You can dual-boot Android and LE on it.

Well, I don't really need things that noob-friendly, haha! Like, I am fully capable of writing an the image file of the given firmware to the card, installing things with the toothpick method or SSHing into the device so I don't really mean something plug and play like Nvidia Shield :) Would just like something of a similar class as the Nexbox I have but more modern cause I'm sure that one is already more of a museum exhibition than a respectable android tv box in 2020 :)

So I've been using a Nexbox A95X with LibreElec for years. I'm a total newbie in the field but even I - guided by on-line instructions, of course - managed to install my LE on a microSD and now have the device able to boot either to Libre (when the card is in - so 99,9% of the time) or to the Android it came with (if it's taken out - which is when I need to use some Android app, usually a VOD service). The installation process was quick and everything works perfect.

So perfect - in fact - that I decided it's high time to buy another box to a second room in my apartment :) Since I bought the Nexbox almost 3 years ago, I reckon the hardware landscape is probably completely different nowadays but what did not change is my cluelessness about it all. Thus, I'd be very grateful for any tips on what box I should buy in order to ensure such a smooth and noob-friendly installation process and such fluid support of the two boot options as my Nexbox does while allowing for such impeccable playback of each and every format you throw in its direction on a usb stick. I wouldn't want to go beyond $50 but of course the less the better (I remember I bought the Nexbox for under $30 these three years ago and can only speak in superlatives about it to this day).

What would you recommend? Should I go for a specific brand? Model? Architecture? RAM? Thanks so much in advance!

Sorry for all the dumb stuff I'll probably write but I'm a bit out of the loop so my understanding of all the things here may not be too great, to put it lightly :D So I have a Nexbox A95X running LE 8.2.3.1 for some time now and recently came across a few files which Kodi didn't manage to play for the first time ever. Thus, I started wondering if maybe there was some kind of update I could do to have a newer version of Kodi running on this LE (or update the whole LE?). When looking at kszaq's website though, it seems like the LE I'm running is the newest there is for S905X and browsing through the forum, it seems like there won't be any more. Is there no way to update Kodi, then and the current version is as high as it will go?

I have a NEXBOX A95X TV box running LibreELEC 8.2.3.1 and lately when looking through some old stuff, I found my old Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote (looks like this). Since the remote that came with my Nexbox is basically atrocious, I began to wonder if it's possible to use my Xbox remote for that purpose - is it possible? I've tried the easiest route of just firing up Keymap Editor in Kodi and trying to map something to anything on the remote but it didn't work out, it didn't recognize any of the presses. I've also tried copying this remote.conf from the forum's repo into .config folder but it didn't help :( Do I need some special receiver for it (in which case I'll most likely pass) or can I do something else to make it work?

I have a NEXBOX A95X TV box running LibreELEC 8.2.3.1 and lately when looking through some old stuff, I found my old Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote (looks like this). Since the remote that came with my Nexbox is basically atrocious, I began to wonder if it's possible to use my Xbox remote for that purpose - is it possible? I've tried the easiest route of just firing up Keymap Editor in Kodi and trying to map something to anything on the remote but it didn't work out, it didn't recognize any of the presses. I've also tried copying this remote.conf from the forum's repo into .config folder but it didn't help :( Do I need some special receiver for it (in which case I'll most likely pass) or can I do something else to make it work?

Ha, solved! I decided to go through all the .dtb files before I try something different. Turns out for my device I should have used the _tx3mini version, despite what everybody I read has been claiming. As soon as I put this one on the SD and renamed it to dtb.img like I did with the previous ones, it booted up in an instant and works flawlessly :) Thanks guys for the help and guidance along the way ;)

I've also tried using the pinhole method (as this is the method that I used back when I installed LE for the first time on this device) so I removed the .update folder, copied back my previous img.dtb file and then tried the method but no matter how long I keep pressing the button for, the LibreELEC splash screen never shows up - it's stuck on Nexbox's as if I didn't use the toothpick at all :( What should I do, then?

Hmm, can I? I just tried that but to no avail - I created an ".update" folder in the root of my card, put the update and the corresponding dtb there and plugged it in but still the device gets stuck on the Nexbox splash screen, doesn't progress to the LibreELEC one which is where the update procedure would take place. I tried both the newest and the oldest versions, nothing changes.

Oh, didn't know about it! Seems like it doesn't do the trick, though :( From what I've been able to google, for my device (Nexbox A95X B7N 1G/8G), I should use the gxl_p212_1g dtb file. Tried both the gxl_p212_1g.dtb and gxl_p212_1g_nand.dtb files from the Kszaq website (I'm booting from memory card so I transferred one to the microSD and renamed to dtb.img, tried booting, then did the same with the other) but to no avail - still stuck at Nexbox's splash screen :( Why is that so?