Posts by :benny:

In terms of the video files I'm streaming they are all 1080p at max. I have to double check again to see which codecs they're using but I'm quite sure the majority was H264. Two days ago I switched from the Ethernet connection to Wifi and since then no further problems occurred.

If the problem shows up again I'll use this thread to post a complete log. Until then thank you all for your ideas.

I'm not quite sure on the whole use case here.

You want to set up the RPi3B+ as a stand alone server, or not? Does it also have to run Kodi? If so, attached to which device?

Which protocol is required for file serving: UPnP, SMB or both?

Which device(s) will be used as a video client: the TV directly via UPnP or does the TV has its own Kodi device attached (FireTV) ?

Yes the RPi3B+ is supposed to be a media center that possibly every device in the apartment can access and stream from (not at the same time of course). That being said I think I'd only need UPnP as a protocol. If there is a more suitable solution it does not have to run Kodi necessarily.

Concerning the video clients I am using a Samsung TV that has direct UPnP functionality, a Fire TV Stick (which doesn't run Kodi at the moment) on a different non-smart TV and two Windows 10 PCs.

As I mentioned earlier, when I am playing files from the Pi directly (over HDMI) everything works fine, so I don't think there is a problem with the external HDD.

I have a 3B+ running LibreELEC 8.2 and Kodi 17. It's connected to my router via Ethernet. Also I have a 3TB external NTFS harddrive connected via USB.

I wanted to be able to stream all my media files from a central device but so far I ran into multiple problems:

• Sometimes the playback through UPNP (with VLC player on my PC) is really stuttery and even freezes totally at some point. SMB is even worse. The PC is connected via Ethernet (DLAN)
    • Not all files of a TV show are being recognized (i.e. only 50 of 100 episodes are listed)
    • Streaming from a Samsung Smart TV with DLNA also froze after a couple of seconds. However, I seemed to fix that by using a Ethernet connection to the TV.
    • Trying to stream from a Fire TV Stick, also using the VLC app, only worked the first time and then never again. But this might also be due to the VLC app.

Any suggestions on how I could solve these problems? Before LibreELEC I used OSMC with similiar issues. When playing any file locally from the Pi everything works perfectly.