Posts by shippy

1. You may need to use different recording software on...

2. Sory I don't understand your question.

3..How can the system know what it needs to use (If both outputs are available and can output sound.) ?

balbes150

1. OK I know it is a tough question given so many problems with booting from SD card/USB stick on different boxes/OSes.

But will DD on Linux always work to burn (write from HDD .img to SD) or read back (from SD to HDD as .img) ?

2. By development tools I mean something like what this thread says: 😂

[11/09/2018] Amlogic tools V5.5.0 [Funeral day] - FreakTab

3. Alright so auto-sense switching from HDMI or AV may not be possible.

How about adding a toggle menu under Power Settings whereby you can choose HDMI or AV display at next boot?

Maybe there could be a default setting ( HDMI) so user always has a display if there are problems with AV etc.

This way the user won't need to issue SSH settings to change disp_cap.

...has anyone thought about them?

Here I don't mean the bloated 120-200MB Debian base, but a Docker with something like a light 5MB Alpine base.

LibreElec actually recommended Alpine bases in its Docker add-ons write-up (addons for LE, not LE inside a Docker itself), but Alpine seems to have lost traction with Docker. The problem could be Alpine's musl libc which doesn't play nice with existing compilations.

Alternatively some other container format with a light base should work.

The hotspot feature in LE is intentionally basic and connman supports SSID/passphrase configuration only - nothing else. If you want wireless router features the best thing to use is .. a wireless router.

1. If that is true how are devices connected to this LibreElec WiFi AP without IP addresses, and how are these devices operating (connecting to the public Internet)?

Edit. I found the answer, from one your own older posts. 😎

Exactly what I wanted- connecting a couple home devices, not dozens as for a wifi router. No further hacks needed, if the fixes mentioned are still in place?

Creating WiFi AP on LibreELEC on RPI2

2. Now, can I configure my own DNS settings in LibreElec?

Reason is that Adguard DNS and others take care of adblock now, way better than doing via apps. Likely saves 50-60% bandwidth, speeding up your connection as well for free !

How to set up AdGuard DNS

I am assuming that the home devices connecting will also go through this DNS.

shippy, just had a quick look on ebay usa, only one intel nuc DN2820FYKH0 not as cheap as you think. This box, has hdmi 1.4. 100M LAN, also needs RAM

With Yumi, try a usb keyboard to change boot order,

Ok thanks.

Do you know if Ali Express or those China sites might have some cheap miniPCs? Couldn't find any on Ali some months ago.

Re: YUMI, neither the wireless USB keyboard nor the laptop keys worked...but they have a new 1/6/19 version out...

I have emailed pendrivelinux re: LibreElec.tv support and the key freeze problem, but looks encouraging from the description and non- supported distro options:

YUMI - Multiboot USB Creator | USB Pen Drive Linux

bubblegum57  vpeter

Thanks guys, both useful inputs.

So now that the original question is resolved, I gotta think about the multiboot thingy- maybe try that Linux/Windows live USB creator (doc is bad but looks interesting with all the features claimed.)

One problem I had with YUMI few weeks ago was that at boot time, it didn't let me move the up/down arrows (freezing) so it always booted from the default hard drive. But sometimes it worked. Hopefully they'll fix the bug.

I have Win7 32 bit installed on my old Acer D255E notebook running the 64bit N455 1.67 GHz CPU. The max 2GB ram means I likely can't run 64 bit Windows, but LibreElec from live USB boot shouldn't be a problem.

bubblegum57

Speaking of NUC, do you know if those $25-30 used mini Atom/Celeron PCs are still available from eBay?

Looked like great buys last summer, if you wanted a cheapo DIY router with pfSense (still not ARM available except for a hefty price from the pfSense vendor, but don't know about OpenSense, supposedly better than pf.)

The point here is that, given LibreElec allows WiFi to be in either station or AP mode, you could use a cheapo miniPC (or Amlogic TV box) to feed a couple of home devices from its AP, acting as router.

That means you could also do adblock DNS to speed up your internet connection for home devices without extra expense. ( I thought about installing Pi-hole on LibreElec, but its Docker is bloated with the 120-150MB Debian base. Pi-hole initially built its Docker with the 5MB Alpine base but it had conflicts back in late 2017, given Alpine's use of the newer musl libc.)

That AP configuration must allocate IPs via DHCP and do NATing and DNS as well. LibreElec runs Connman as Network Manager (which technically doesn't have DHCP/DNS) so some dnsmasq like package must be running too.

vpeter

This solves my problem !

More thoughts:

1. As per YUMI multiboot, how easy is it to configure such that the default option is "Boot from (Windows) HDD" and the 2nd option is, "Boot live LibreElec from USB"?

This way I don't have to detach the USB stick from my PC, with default PC boot set to USB drive boot.

2. In addition I am assuming that you could also use something like YUMI multiboot to have LibreElec as one of your OSes on the USB stick?

YUMI, LiLi or Linux/Win LiveUSB Install | Linux on a stick! don't list LibreElec/CoreELEC though.

trogggy

New idea- install to another USB stick and be safe. Any details on how to?

Don't know if my info (from previous LibreElec forum postings) is accurate:

I would like to try out the live USB LibreElec on my PC, now that Kodi18 RC 5.2 would hopefully become 18-Real with lots of stable features.

But what I read is that live USB boot gives you the standard 2 options- installtointernal and live.

The problem is that the installtointernal option is dangerous- it could wipe out your hard drive easily (LE requires all the hard drive?).

And there isn't much benefit to internal install anyway...who wants to run only LE on a PC, or first install LE after backing up data and then repartitioning to reinstall Windows?

So...is it possible to only have the LIVE operation option as default (i.e. just boot from the USB and keep it persistent mode), and have the installtointernal option hidden? Those who still want internal install could activate the setting separately.

balbes150

Thanks again. Your speed and feature list is just incredible !😇😇

Now more questions:

1. Is Rufus with the boot DD option in settings the best way to burn your images?

Do we also need the label to be LIBREELEC?

( I have had bad luck with booting from USB sticks. Maybe it was Win32DiskImager or Etcher? Last time Rufus seemed to work with USB sticks.)

2. Are there any tools to build custom JeOS images like the ones that you can share with us?

3. Is it possible to switch between HDMI and AV ports automatically, without having to update disp_cap via SSH every time?

1. I can not say anything about installtointernal as I use the 4.x branch card only on the box I have armbian installed onto. Maybe do a backup and give it a try, or stay safe and use LE (meanwhile) on card until you know install is working.

2. the sound via HDMI should work on most boxes (the ordroid c2 seems to be one of those few which got NO sound via HDMI). AV works (so far) only with 3.14 kernel, but the newest builds can use usb soundcard now. Tested two different chinese cheapo 1€-cards, both work well. I picked the smaller one to have more space for usb plug from keyboard/mouse combo.

So sound only via HDMI on TV/screen or via a (cheap) usb sound card connected to an amp.

Thanks for the details 🐈🐆

1. Re: the $1-2 USB sound card, does not come with a good enough speaker, or can you buy a cheapo USB speaker combo?

2. While we are at it, do you know if the balbes 3.xx or 4.xx builds can backup (clone) from eMMC an already installed LE- balbes/CoreElec build?

balbes150 mentioned couple of weeks ago the feature whereby you could backup the Android ROM on Amlogic boxes before installing the LE- balbes build.

So my question is: If you already have installed LE- balbes or CoreElec or other build on the Amlogic box, can that be backed up too, once you insert an SD card with the LE- balbes 3/4.xx ?

Balbes of course has been busy innovating many features with frequent changes. So it is hard to catch up with the latest...😃🐵🐵

No problem 😃 Did you solve your boot issue though?

Also, it's preferable to use Rufus (not Etcher or Win32DiskImager) to burn your image. For a while I had a problem booting from USB sticks. Today I took CE Forum recommendation (which wasn't clearly explained earlier) and used Rufus- my USB stick now boots.

Even on a box with internally installed old CE version, the USB stick boots, eventually. It gave me problems ( alternate flashes of box and CE boot screens, then dark screen), but then it booted in Kodi safe mode !