Posts by yamcenutzer

So Here the situation for me as of now (todays nightly LE12):

nuc11i3 -> denon 1703-->panasonic 65HZ2000

- audio is stable as long as no pass through is attempted (note the TV can already do all formats)

- passthru works for non hd formats

- passthru doesn't passthrough any hd

-- dts ma becomes dts-- trying trueHD (7.1 in my case) kills all audio, and the system needs to be restarted to regain any audio

- UHD (4k) - tv via tvh-client doesn't play with HEVC VAAPi. Sometimes even not with VAAPI disabled, could not determine yet why.

There may be other things, but these are the issues I have, that used to work in LE 9 (or was it 10 , I forgot)

Thanks a lot, sky42 for that detailed description.

So audio still has issues, but it sounds a lot better than when I last gave up on it many many night(lies)s ago.

I think I should start looking into it again.

BTW,

1. the last NUCs to have CIR (which, for me, is a must) are the 11gens..

2. my preference of connections would be player->tv->receiver(via eARC). Of course+, assuming the tv can passthrough everything to the receiver. That's what I will be testing.

have a nuc 11i3 (actually 2 of them)
    - no uhd via tv-headend client

- audio via hdmi broken (keeps getting lost if format changes )

the only stuff that works is le 9

IMHO nuc support has been dropped since LE 10

Even StandBy and WakeUp works. Most of the time the bios I can see too on my LG with a Denon AVR.

The first positive note about LE11 on intel HW in long time, great!, May I ask a few questions:
    1. how have you connected this (hdmi to denon passthrough/yes/no or Hdmi to LD and arc on demand) ? or dp ?
    2. what contents have you tested ? 4k ? hdr?
    3. what hd-audio formats work/don't work?
    4. do you watch TV? if so which client? if yes, can you watch uhd content (incl. time shift)

Thks,

Same problem here, but interestingly only on the raspberry platform

The intel platform (which has other issues) this works as expected.

On the pi platfrom, when I try to add the source, it keeps complaining, even though I can actually see folder contents.

There is also some weird dialog about folder preferences asking for user/password but never accepts the password. When this happen, the log comes with the usual 'permission denied' message, as if kodi is simply ignorinhg the password/ cannot save it...

Also, I found 3 places where media sources can be added , userdata/ mediasources.xml, sources.xml and passwords,xml.

Are these still valid, if so why 3, and are they actually editable (e.g. via ssh) while kodi is running?

Thx,

Yes I know that (use http streaming instead) , I mentioned that in another thread. That's like going back to the dark ages of tv without timeshift.

The whole point of my complaints were the overall regression of stuff that used to work, that got broken in LE 11 onwards and LE 10 already having a lot of problems of handling newer intel chipsets, like the mentioned problems of losing hdmi audio every other time a different format is played.

Now that Intel has given up on NUCs, I don't see any hope of this platform going anywhere beyond the capabilities of the what I called toy class devices (rpi, amlogic etc.)

What about 4k uhd channels? For me (using tvheadend client) they won't display with hevc-vaapi enabled.

Eg. UHD1 by Astra or SES UHD demo ( they are sat channels on Astra), or if you have paid foir it, pro7 Uhd /rtl /uhd.

Also channels requiring interleave are broken, when having to upscale to a 4k monitor (the monitor doesn't offer any other resolutions, so the box has to do the work, which it actually is capable of)

Toy class means that the gui freezes all so often when scrolling through large collections of whatever e.g. a tv grid.

Toy class also means no decent remote, except maybe CEC, if that works, and then you're limited to a few buttons. Compare that to the ancient rc6 remotes, and you see what I mean

Toy class also means hd-audio on demand (although kodi/Librelec never got hot-plugging hdmi right)

The point being: if someone is willing to spend more than 50.-for a device that can drive a much, much more expensive 4k TV and possibly Amp, then ..... yes well what? kodi? le? Currently you can't even throw money at it, no decent media players.

The TV community has shown years ago, what (TV-) media player (aka decent sat receivers) should be able to do: e.g. 4 simultaenous FHD streams on a 4k display, aka 'sports bar mode' . And these are linux based!

Kodi? LE? thousands of add-ons but the core functionality of high q media playback?

Intel has dropped support for NUCs, So I guess that is pretty much the end of living room compliant HDR/HDaudio capable OSS.
    The toy class devices are what's left raspi/amlogic/google sticks and the like.

What a pity.

At least le 10 could handle multiple hdmi so you could split video/audio.

LE 11/12 is going nowhere when it comes to intel devices.

since this and similar issues are still persistent, I am assuming that NUC support has been silently dropped.

Even LE 12 doesn't seem to understand the hdmi channels available on a NUC, 11 the number of which seem to increase every time I fail top playback something.

Interestingly, it used to work on le10, somewhat, since there you can also select the video out (not anymore on le11), but it has stopped now to the point that no hdmi audio is available at all. I don't know if the hardware is somehow rotting away, but I cannot convince myself to believe that.

le11/12 broke nuc support

I too have nuc11pah (for similar reasons you mentioned , incl.CIR)

For some reasons le 11/12 does not detect/offer multiple hdmi and/or dp outputs.

I use hdmi for tv direct (4k) and sometimes dp for hd audio, for the 1% content that's worth switching on the 'big' audio.

In le 10 things work as expected, LE 12 OTOH insists on sending video to dp if both are on. That might be OK, if your receiver is 4k capable, mine isn't (why?)

Also, somewhat unrelated, watching 4k TV via the tv-headend client doesn't work, although triggering a recording, then watching the recorded video does work. I guess it's a format problem of the live rtsp stream.

I'm waiting for le12++ to see if that helps. Until then, the nuc is powerful enough to do 4k on le11 ( I dunno about HDR though, lack of content)

Intel Nucs have 2 or more video connections.

I use one for the tv , the other to a hd-audio capable receiver. The former is used 90% of the time, the latter on rare occasions I come across something worth listening to via 'real' audio systems.

This works in LE10.xx, but stopped working in 11.

In 11 there is no video output selection available, and if both are connected, it choses the 'wrong' one without offering o change it.

Also, probably unrelated to the above, watching a 4k uhd stream via the tvheadend client doesn't work in normal htsp streaming mode, I have to set the client option to stream via http, In this mode there is no timeshift available, a regression to the dark ages of live tv.

All this verified on 3 Nucs, a nuc5, a pentium 51xx, and a nuc11i3 (the latter being the one I would prefer, because it has a decent IR receiver)

Hi heitbaum

Are the graphical teething issues fixed on the NUC11PAHi7?

Is the NUC12WSKi7 without teething issues?

Thanks a lot

No, it's worse in le11/12. It seems there's not enough Intel HW out there (for obvious reasons, decent NUCs are way more expensive than the toy raspi's or amlogic devices).

IIRC A decent nuc is one that has an IR port (i3 is the smallest one, which raises the price bar above the pentiums, which would otherwise be sufficient)

Controlling KODI via CEC is just a pita.

Hi,

I've been using LE since it was available (long ago).

The main setup used a (now ancient nuc5) connected to TV via hdmi and to a receiver via dp. Th use case is 95% all on tv. The rare occasional music recording or even rarer movie worth the hassle will use passthrough audio to the receiver, which is otherwise off.

I also can watch 4k UHD TV (via a dedicated tvserver running tvheadend). This setup works in LE10 and also 11

I recently update to a nuc11 because the old nuc5 really struggles/choppy on 4k and the setup works on LE10.

On LE 11 however things are weird.

1. Only one video interface offered (I can't select from the 2 attached).

2. UHD live TV doesn't work, screen remains dark, spinning wheel (some else described this for some other reasons)

3. if I record the tv channel that I can't watch live--- that recording plays nicely.

4. Also, interestingly, live tv using http instead of htsp does play, but then there's no time-shift. Not an option.

This is also true if I use the now released KODI either windows or Linux on the nuc11.

Any ideas? Am I missing something?

Thx