Posts by sn0cr4sh

Update, for those that are interested. I scoured eBay for an old used Atlona HDMI switch. I kept hearing Atlona makes the best switching devices and this one has specific functions to handle EDID (tbh, I havent read the manual yet).

It actually solves the problem. Whatever deficiencies the Samsung TV has, or the problems the Chromebox has talking to the Samsung, this switch cleared it right up. I can switch back and forth while Kodi is idle, and I can switch while movies are playing. It doesn't skip a beat.

The 4 port IOGear switch just isn't sufficient.

There are identical problems that I have encountered with some of the newer Samsung TVs. We tried a 65MU6300 and no matter what there was no way to get it to display the video. Took a Haswell NUC and worked fine.

Put the ChromeBox on a 50KU6290 and it worked fine.

All my Panny's work fine so it is a particular line/generation of Samsungs that are having the EDID issue.

So either get an EDID spoofing device or get a different TV.

In my case, its an older model Samsung - H5003. The TV seems to lose its mind when the inputs are switched. I've even see the TV display the incoming resolution as 4K (for a moment before blanking out). That's what made me confused as to whether the Chromebox was sending out a bad signal, or the TV was not handling the signal right.

When you say EDID spoofing device, I see several on the market. The ConnectPro device looks interesting. How would that differ from the EDID lock configuration that I did to the Chromebox? Moreover, how would an EDID device handle the way Kodi constantly changes output frame-rates? 60 for the interface, 24 for films, 50 for some TV shows, 30 for others?

Also - my Panasonic and LG TVs don't have this issue. So this is obviously a bad combination of devices.

I have three identical Asus Chromeboxes (intel celeron 2955U), on three different TV setups, and I'm having issues with one of them, and it involves using an IOGear HDMI switch in the connection. I can't seem to find a fix, would love some suggestions.

• Chromebox 1 running through a Marantz receiver is flawless and I have no issues with playback, interface, etc. Currently running 8.2.3.
    • Chromebox 2 runs in to an IOGear 8 port HDMI switch GHSW8181, which then outputs to the TV via an HDBaseT connection. I have done the EDID configuration on this device and am running LE 8.0.2 currently, with no issues with playback, interface, etc. However, any release AFTER 8.0.2 causes severe handshake issues, screen flickering, etc. Specifically any refresh rate at 50 or above causes issues. I don't know what happened between 8.0.2 and 8.2, but that's for another thread.

Here's the problem:

• Chromebox 3 runs in to an IOGear 4 port HDMI switch GHSW8141, which then outputs via HDMI cable to a Samsung TV. This one has severe handshake issues, much worse than the 8 port HDMI switch, which is odd because I assume the switches would behave the same, but they don't. I'm currently running 8.0.2 because 8.2.x was much worse.

Chromebox 3 works fine when everything is powered up the first time. The interface instantly appears on screen. If I switch inputs to something else on the HDMI switch, like the Tivo, or an AppleTV, those work fine as well. The TV indicates the resolution changing (1080/60i or 1080/60p). The problem occurs when I switch BACK to Kodi. The TV takes about 15-20 seconds of blinking, flickering, and snow/static on screen before the interface shows up again. Most of the time, the TV gets the screen refresh rate wrong. The interface is supposed to be 60hz, but it sometimes dumps it to 24 (23.98). Playback is actually fine, surprisingly. Content at 1080/24 and 1080/50 works fine. The issue is the switching back and forth. But also, none of the 8.2.x releases work this well. They introduce a ton of playback issues on top of this. I can't move past 8.0.2.

My Kodi settings are to change refresh rate of the TV (I've tested Start/Stop vs Always). I do audio passthrough. My interface is 1080/60, but I've tried 1080/14.

Things I've tested:

• No issues with HDMI cabling. Have swapped cables at all points with brand new Blue Rigger cables.
    • Updated the firmware on the Chromebox to Feb. release from MrChromebox.tech
    • HDMI inputs on TV don't matter (there are only 2).
    • I captured EDID config while I had the Chromebox direct wired to the TV (no switch)
    • Power on sequence doesn't have an effect.
    • 8.2.x releases are much worse for me.

I have also pulled my Xorg logs from the Chromebox. I captured one during the bootup sequence by itself. Then I captured another log while I was experiencing the screen flickering / static problem I described above. I can see a ton of ModeLine entries going through every possible resolution and refresh rate, and those entries correspond with the mess I see on screen. There's 3 cycles of that, and I can distinguish 3 cycles of static and blinks on screen while it happens.

Is there some additional Xorg configs that can be done to fix this? Is the HDMI switch just garbage? Is my TV having issues with the switch?

xorg.0.bootup.log

xorg.0.switching.log