Posts by honolulu1

No skips here, smooth as butter

Have you just just run some diagnostics script or have you realy watched the video for a few minutes constantly.
    I've spent hours watching it on different LibereElec and KODI builds for windows.
    Adjust display refresh rate -> on start/end of playback (because "Always" make it actually worse)
    I can clearly see the skips on 8.0.1.b.

After all the builds on different plattforms I've used now and all the settings I adjusted back and forth, the smoothest playback without frame skips (hickups) I get with KODI 15.2 or 16.1 installed on a windows computer and only select "sync playback to display" without "adjust display to refresh rate". This gives me a refresh rate of 60 fps and you might expect judder or frame skips but thats not the case for me and I am extremely sensitive regarding this issue.
    If I try to use that settings on any LibreElec build wether it is installed on a windows computer or on my amlogic box, a juddering playback is visible.

Oh, now I see it was my mistake. I enabled EAC3 passthrough and played an DD+ file while my system can't decode it.
    So DTS and DD works for me but dissabeling EAC3 passthrough gives me a stereo output to my sound system when I try to play a DD+ file. And it's not a good one. Center and sub channels seem to be missing so I can't understand one single word when someone speaks.
    Do I need additional decoders to transcode DD+ to simple DD for my system? If so, how do I install them?

I had a simmilar issue when I used the KODI DSPlayer for windows. I solved it by installing AC3 filter to my system and defined there what is to be passed through and what has to be recoded to AC3.

I have installed the latest build 8.0.1b today and playback is finally smooth on my LG OLED TV. I have one issue though:
    I only can connect my sound system via SPDIF and alway used passthrough to let the DD and DTS decoding done by it.
    In this build I can select passthrough but the option to select wich output is to be used is grey and I can't change it to SPDIF.
    It's automatically set to HDMI.
    I remember it working on some KODI Jarvis built I used before.

Did you change something or did I do something wrong in the configuration?

This is because of a workaround introduced to make both high-res audio and HD Audio passthrough work.

I have still 7.0.2.009 installed on my dads Mini M8S II 2G/8G and except of DTSHD HRA where only the DTS core is passed through everything else works. Users with other boxes didn't have that issue with the same build. Does this mentioned workaround mean that other boxes had that issue too and now it is resolved for most of them?
    Sorry I haven't been following these threads since 7.0.2.011.

I wouldn't recommend using a micro-SD card but rather an USB stick. I tried a micro-SD card first, it somehow crashed and after that it was kind of deep level write protected so I can't use it for anything now. Tried different card readers and dozens of fomatting tools but it's just trash now. Better use an USB stick.

Has anyone tried to attach a "WD MY BOOK DUO" to his box and can describe if it works flawlessly? They are rumoured to have very bad Linux support. I ask because currently I have two old single bay WD MY BOOK ESSENTIAL attached to my Mini M8S II running LibreElec version .009 and they are often not correctly recognized at startup. They have that annoying WD Smartware VCD image intalled somewhere directly on the USB connector, so I can't delete it. At startup my box will always recongnise both Smartware image drives but often not the partitions my files are on.
    I'd like to repack both HDDs into a WD MY BOOK DUO case and use the containig two WD REDs in my computer. Any experiences with those kind of cases?

Yeah, tried all of that but it is invisible only on the windows machine I work with. Putting it back on my TV box the Smartware is shown as the primary partition again. Unfortunately my router wont recognize my usb drives. It's a rather old one. After searching for some days now I don't believe it is even possible to remove that virtual drive.

I just want to add, using WD My Book USB drives with this OS is a pain in the a... The WD Smartware Drve is not removable because it's a VCD image located on the usb controller of the case and its often preventing my other files to show up on my libreelec box. The WD Smartware drive is always there but to see the partition with my movies I sometimes have to restart the box several times. Can I hope for a workaround without buying new usb cases for my hard drives?

Just removed the disk from the external drive and put it in my computer. No Virtual drive. It has to be located in the controller itselve. That's why nothing worked. I just cant access the flash drive or whatever in the controller to remove that VCD. I think only buying new external usb cases might work for me.

I've tried the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool but the Virtual CD Drive with that damn software on it wont disappear. I tried Diskpart in cmd.exe but no luck either.
    Please any other suggestions? Having to restart my box several times every time I want to use it is really annoying.

I'm having another problem regarding my USB drives I'm using for my movie and tv show collections. I have two WD My Book 2TB USB 2.0 and those drives have an additional partition with a virtual drive on it containing the WD Smart Ware software. When I start my LibreElec TV box often one of my drives isn't shown correctly. Under "videos - data" I usually see the WD Smart Ware partition and the one my videos are on. Sometimes It would only show the Smartware without the partition I actually want, especialy when both of my drives are connected to the box. Both Smartware partitions are always recognized but sometimes I have to restart my box several times until first one, then none, then both of the partitions my files are on are recognized properly.

Can someone tell me how to delete these smartware partitions without reformating the whole drive? Just to disable them using the smartware wont work.

... More likely to find a problem in the way the OS\hardware combination interprets the data Kodi sends.

BTW, how do your boxes handle Dolby Atmos sound?

I think so too. Must be a slight difference in our boxes this OS isn't considering. Dolby THD is passed through correctly with my box. Atmos is just an attachment your AVR recognizes and uses in addition or it won't and just uses the THD if it's not capable of using Atmos.

Can you see passthrough informations in the KODI debug log? If so I'm going post one this weekend and see what goes wrong with my High Resolution Audio.

OK tried Build 011 from usb drive and DTSHD HR 5.1 passthrough only gives me the DTS core reaching my AVR, just as it did with build 009.
    I think it's because of the the 6 instead of 8 channel High Resolution Audio but I can't test it, because lack of content on my hard drives. I'll get my hands on a DTSHD HR 7.1 sample and report back.

Edit: Tried the DTSHD HR 7.1 Sample and again I get only 5.1 DTS core. I think it's save to say that the Mini M8S II S905X cant't pass through DTSHD High Resolution jet, regardeless the build I'm using.