Posts by velqn

You do not need any glue of clips, just wiggle the heatsink on to the thermal paste to smooth out any air bubbles.

The dirt cheap heatsinks usually weigh sweet F.A.

Pushing down too hard on the heatsink runs the risk of Silver, conductive paste spilling over on to adjacent electrical components and frying something when power is applied.

Then I usually run the box for a while and then unplug power over night and the paste cures.

I have succesfully applied some Kryonaut thermal grizzly to the S912 SoC and inserted again the stock heatsink. Yoi may or may not believe it, but the stock "solution" was rather a simple thermal pad... haha, that`s a joke.

So I stitched back the stock heatsink and you were right, this thing weighs nothing, it stuck perfectly. Now immediate switch on - I would say I can see some improvement probably with 1-5 Celsius.

Running/playback ~58-61 Celsius - update library up to 70... I ran it for a while, now it`s switched off, hope that after the paste cures I will get even better drops. If not I have to look for a bigger heatsink, but even and 60-70 Celsius - I believe it`s still okay, isn`t it?

In Android it went up to 97 Celsius before the mod :) Just using LibreELEC drops by 10-15 Celsius.

Heavily modified TTC-CUV2AB/RHS(DIY)

I am not using the fan, which comes in the kit, but a smaller heatsink+fan (5V), which fits entirely in the Titan copper heatsink. Costs less than 2 euro.

It's even more effective than TTC kit. And much more silent. ;)

Note that this won't fit neatly inside the H96Pro+ (Alfawise) box (worst thermal designed chinese crap I've seen)...

Did you solder the fan to one of the USBs or use directly USB? There is a 3 pin connector on the board, looks like cpu fan?

You do not need any glue of clips, just wiggle the heatsink on to the thermal paste to smooth out any air bubbles.

The dirt cheap heatsinks usually weigh sweet F.A.

Pushing down too hard on the heatsink runs the risk of Silver, conductive paste spilling over on to adjacent electrical components and frying something when power is applied.

Then I usually run the box for a while and then unplug power over night and the paste cures.

Gee, made me revisit urban dictionary re "sweet F.A. "got it now :)

Hi guys,

started to mod my box, drilled some holes on the top and the bottom.

No difference (as I expected) - still idle at 55-61 C in LibreELEC and 70-75 C during playback and 80 during library update.

It requires a good thermal paste at least + a nice heatsink and a fan for optimum result.

I really hope that with the kryonaut grizzly I will get at least 5 C down :)

It could be the cable, who knows... For me the exact opposite side, opposite USB port works. Anyway, I plan of cutting my box open, to unhide the 2 USBs, not that I will much use them whatsoever but :)

Else - I "solved" the problem by just leaving the box on.

It idles now at 59 Celisus:

LibreELEC:~ # cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

Well, dont like that too much, hence will change the termal paste tomorrow. Hope it will lower 5-10 Celsius.

Nah, the whole idea of using the box is ... to enjoy the fanless silence, I dont like the idea of putting a fan. Though I can dry to box. Adding superglue to my CPU, so it wont be a "next time" replacing thermal paste, I guess...

For now I just plan to put some kryonaut grizzly and use the old sink, but no usb fans, unless there is something really, really quite but I doubt it.

Did you mod your boxes in that way, if yes, what fans are you using?

Hello wrxtasy,

bought 1 gram kryonaut grizzly thermal paste to replace my shitty (silicon) dip on the H96Pro +, will re-use the existing heatsink. Thing is - will the heatsink still stay in place after mounting it with the new paste? I have installed many fans/heatsinks but on PCs, where there was always a clip to the motherboard, so I am wondering if the paste enough will keep the heatsink attached to the CPU, especially if it runs for 24 hours to fix it :)

Tnx!

Same here, at some point I realized that we just want to have back the power off/on just because we do not have it, not that we would really use it... honestly, at some point the box becomes transparent, same like everything else in the house, it just works :)

Under LE is okay, it idles at 60-67 Celsius. If I run it on Android I have to insure my home - get highest insurance that covers the event of a fire... :))) It gets up to 98 Celsius during high load.

Or I will have to mod my box, buy proper thermal paste and replace the heatsink with a bigger one:)

Strange, S912 should do w/o issues 1080p flawlessly. What Android do you have, stock of flashed something? Did you tried FTMC (Jarvis - Kodi 16) under Android or Kodi 17 straight out of the market? Should be pretty much flawless with LibreELEC. But then have in mind that not all of the S912 come equal, some use crappy slow eMMC (internal storage), shitty RAM, or other crap components...

Take a look here, about some proper 7.1.2 Android custom firmware.