Posts by Bouncypete

I know this might sound like a dufus question but is it possible to install a better graphics card without re-installing LibreELEC?

I know you wouldn't do this on a Windows PC but I don't know if LibreELEC installs specific graphics card drivers during installation, or if it uses a 'one size fits all' sort of driver that would allow me to put a better graphics card in. The current card doesn't handle x265 very well hence, I want to upgrade it to something like a GT1030 which does.

Part of the reason why I'm asking is that I can't seem to access the userdata folder on my HTPC to back it up and I always struggle to get my HTPC to access the media on my desktop PC which effectively acts as a server. Hence why I'm reluctant re-install LibreELEC if I don't really need to.

Hi, As per the title, I want to know the best way to set up a Windows 10 PC to act as a server to multiple Libreelec/Kodi devices.

I currently have my media stored on different drives on my Windows 10 PC and I have a Libreelec PC connected via ethernet and SMB to play back my media.

Although this I've got this set up working with one device, for the life of me, I cannot get a second Libreelec device to connect using what I think is the same method. Which, if I recall correctly, was Add network location (windows SMB) and type the PC name, plus my user name and password. Then this showed in the connection list, then when I selected that connection it could see my Movie folders and my TV series folders. However, When I repeat that process on the second Libreelec device I cannot get it to add the network location.

I've come to the conclusion that it is an issue with my Windows 10 PC which I'm using as a server and not the Libreelec devices. My problem is that I don't know much about networking and sharing folders. I'm learning as I go along. It might well be that I've set up the shared folders properly but Windows Firewall is stopping the other Kodi devices connecting in some way.

When I've tried searching Google the results are usually about using Kodi installed on a PC which contains the media or Kodi devices that get their media via USB. Not using a PC as a server like I want to be able to do.

What is the best way I can set up the Windows 10 PC to share two media folders (drives) to multiple Kodi devices? Is it better to set up an FTP server on the PC, some other method or will (should) it be easy enough to share these folders/drives without doing anything special?

It would be useful to know what search strings I should be putting into Google so I can find something to walk me through any setup changes I might need to make.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

I've just downloaded putty and successfully accessed the flawless HTPC.

However, it's getting a bit late for me so I'll see If I can boot the problematic HTPC tomorrow. If necessary I'll clean install LE to get it up and running then access ssh and type the that command to see if that creates a reliable machine.

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply to what must seem a really basic question.

Hmmm, I thought I understood but now I'm not so sure. Using the HTPC that works flawlessly I can easily access it from my server PC using the Samba/SMB method in your link. I'm not sure which file to edit or add a line of code to.

From this I suspect you can't access the necessary file via Samba/SMB, it has to be via ssh only. - Is this correct?

If the 'code' is on a readonly partition how can it be edited? Is it the case that you can edit it via ssh, it's just the partition is not normally accessible?

When I access the HTPC via ssh, what file do I edit or add the code to?

Code
     touch /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/96-nvidia.rules

Hi, I'm having issues which are almost identical to this thread Solved - Failed-to-start-xorg-server

I understand the issue is caused by the LE loading the drivers for the integrated graphics rather than PCI card graphics and the thread suggests a solution by running the command below.

Code
     touch /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/96-nvidia.rules

That's the bit I'm stuck on, I don't know how or where I enter that command. I've tried to search for this myself to no avail. Also, is that a space after the word touch and before the forward slash?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the reply.

I've been trying option 1 but I'm not sure what I'm doing.

I have created network locations on my 'server' windows 7 PC for all the shared folders I'd like my LibreELEC HTPC to access. Now if I right click those network location folders under My Computer it shows the target as \\myserver\TV series and \\myserver\Movies etc.

In LibreELEC I go to videos>files>add videos>browse then which option should I select? I've tried all of them without success. I suspect I should now be selecting the bottom option 'Add network location' then using \\myserver\TV series and the username and password in the appropriate boxes. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pete

Forgive me if I don’t use the correct terms here. I’ve tried to learn the correct terminology by searching google but as soon as I use the word 'windows' most of the search results relate to Kodi installed on a windows machine with the media stored locally and that’s not what I’ve got.

I have the latest version of LE installed on a HTPC (generic PC) but store all my media on my desktop PC, not the HTPC, and network the two computers together via Ethernet.

Up until a few days ago I could easily navigate LE to any of the shared folders on my desktop PC via SMB. However I’ve been trying to navigate LE to a new shared folder on my desktop PC. Now when I go to Video > files > windows SMB it doesn’t see the desktop PC at all, even though it still plays all the media in the folders I’ve originally setup. It’ll even update the media library if I add new content to the media folder on the PC. Additionally I can navigate the desktop PC to any of the home folders on the HTPC. This leads me to suspect that it’s not a firewall issue on the desktop PC.

In desperation I did a clean install of LE on the HTPC and for a while I could navigate to my original movie and TV series folders on the desktop PC but then I tried to navigate to a new folder I was no longer able to see the desktop PC again.

Any ideas?