Posts by tent_icle56

Thanks. Really appreciate you taking the time to respond and all the work you do on LE.

For now I've solved the problem by putting LE to the side and installing Kodi on Raspbian instead. Raspian allowed me to pre-configure the WiFi, which meant I could enable the webservice and then use the iOS remote app to navigate the Kodi setup process.

For what it's worth, I still couldn't get CEC to work. The same TV/AVR/remote works perfectly with other LE boxes, so I suspect you are correct and something weird is going on with the mini-HDMI cable (this is the only mini-HDMI device I own).

I would have spent longer fixing the cable in order to use LE, but really the was just an experiment to see how well Kodi would run on the Zero W (the answer? Surprisingly well). This box is ultimately going to become a Home Assistant server.

Hi there,

I recently bought a RPI Zero W.

I've installed OE/LE on many arm boxes before. They have always had full-sized USB ports, so I've always done the initial config using a USB keyboard.

The RPI Zero W has only micro USB, so I can't (easily) set it up with a keyboard. I know I can enable the ssh daemon by editing cmdline.txt before inserting the SD card into the Pi. In theory I could then complete the setup remotely. Unfortunately, the Zero W also does not have ethernet, so I can't get it one the network without WiFi connection details.

Is there any way I can pre-configure the WiFi on the SD card before inserting it into the Pi so that it is enabled as soon as the Pi boots for the first time? I know Raspbian and other distros allow you to place wpa_supplicant.conf into /boot on the SD, but last I checked LE doesn't use wpa_supplicant.

Alternately, does anyone have any other suggestions? I was also hoping I might be able to use a remove via CEC - and the adapter does pop up as discovered - but I can't seem to use it navigate the setup screens. From memory, the same remote has worked on other LE boxes post-setup.

Thanks!