Posts by Adr3nal1n

Hi,

Just for fun, I tried the following on my s905x 1GB RAM tv box running kszaq's LE 8.2.0.1 build,

Step 1 - Installed docker from the libreelec addons repository and then...

Step 2 - Add some aliases to your .profile and save it.

Code
    nano /storage/.profile
    Code
    alias docker="/storage/.kodi/addons/service.system.docker/bin/docker"
    alias ffmpeg="/storage/.kodi/addons/service.system.docker/bin/docker run -v /storage/:/tmp/ forumi0721alpineaarch64/alpine-aarch64-ffmpeg"

Step 3 - Log out of the shell and log in again for your updated .profile to take effect.

Step 4 - Grab the ffmpeg aarch64 image.

Code
    docker pull forumi0721alpineaarch64/alpine-aarch64-ffmpeg

Step 5 - Mount your video folder within /storage/ (I'll let you work out how best to do this based on your own setup)

Step 6 - Use ffmpeg to encode a video. (example shown below)

Code
    ffmpeg -i /tmp/<yourvideofolder>/input.mkv -c:s copy -c:v libx265 -preset medium -x265-params crf=28 -c:a aac -strict experimental -b:a 128k /tmp/<yourvideofolder>/output.mkv

On my test encode via my video folder on my arch linux NFS file server (over 100Mbps ethernet) I got a whole 5fps encode rate when converting an x264 video to x265 with aac audio.

Like I say, this was just for fun so I thought I would share my experience.

Wouldn't it be good if if we could use the s905x gpu to hw accelerate the encode! :)

@kszaq

Just wanted to say a big thank you for your work on the s905x build,

I received an SMBOX SM5 (s905x, 1GB RAM, 8GB EMMC, 100Mbps LAN, 802.11b/g/n WIFI) media player today and followed your install guide and everything works perfectly, even CEC control using my Samsung TV remote. I have now swapped out my living room Raspberry Pi3 for this s905x media player. (I use ethernet and NFS to stream from my linux fileserver and I also run MySQL to centrally host the kodi database)

All video content plays perfectly, including UHD x265 content.

I used the 1G RAM device tree and the generic s905 Libreelec image.

I booted into android, installed Terminal Emulator from the google play store and then issued the "reboot update" command from the terminal and Libreelec launched from the sd card successfully. (This little box doesn't have a reset button so my options were limited.)

Thanks again for all your time and effort in supporting this platform!