Posts by Squatta

I know that this is not a standard supported setup of LibreElec, so I am sorry that I came to you with an issue that is obviously too complex and time consuming for you to easily solve. Maybe I should try a more robust version of Kodi like OSMC? Hopefully it is more robust and can handle the minute differences in the kernel code or has a community willing to adapt to BerryBoot.

Others have had similar issues with the 3B+ and its Bluetooth in general. I could see this being a BerryBoot issue, but I hate NOOBS and want to be able to switch btw OS's w/o having to change Micro SDs all of the time. Is there any way I can track down the issue if LibreElec is not showing the crash in its errorlogging? This also happens with Raspbian. I didn't know that Berryboot used its own Kernel and drivers. That is good to know, but I guess I am confused why you have to use addons to add bluetooth... are these "addons" codecs and not drivers?

I have been experiencing some issues running LibreElec on BerryBoot (bootloader). My Bluetooth will work for about 15 mins and then fail and go unresponsive/undetectable. I get a message "Bluetooth: Host is Down". LibreElec does not recover from this issue. I have to reboot, in order to restore Bluetooth functionality. Any ideas?

I figured the internal wifi would be the bottleneck and from what I understand that was your major bottleneck right? After you got it setup on 2.4/5Ghz dual-band with the dongle, were you able to load without buffering? All of the hardware will be close together since I have a small place. The only reason I plan on doing this is so that my laptops can access the drive too without ethernet cords (again, small apartment) or moving the drive all around. If this worked without buffering, then I guess the only thing I have to worry about is interference in my apartment. I don't think this will be much of an issue though, since I live in a small town with few neighbors. Did you have to add caching to Kodi for this to work? I just want the same experience I have been having, which is just seamlessly playing 2-5gb 2hr movies directly from the hard drive. I figure it will take a second longer to initialize... just worried that I will pay for all of that and then end up with buffering every 10mins, which really takes away from movies. Thanks for your response!

Yeah, I wasn't sure how a router would work for serving, but I have seen devices out there that claim they can change an External Drive into a NAS (usb to ethernet converter with IP configuration options). I figured this type of setup would be about as good as that, except for that I am using WIFI. As for the WIFI, it will be a router very close from the PI. I would go with Ethernet, but I have a very small place and that would take up too much room. Also I have 2 laptops and would like to be able to access the data without plugging in each time. I figured there would be wear with the caching, as Solid State storage always has that risk, although I have heard there have been large strides in advancing its lifetime, so I wasn't sure. Most files are about 2-5GB and 2.5hrs long each (mp4 and mkv if that matters). I see that the internal wifi is weak and figured i may have to get an external dongle or something. Are there any calculators for this type of thing. I am just starting to learn a bit of networking and am by no means a pro in figuring that kind of stuff out. Not even sure what information I all need to check the throughput. I guess I will have to check benchmarks on hardware. Is there a good site for this? I normally use userbenchmark.com, but I have not seen network tests or calculators there... I can certainly reformat my video with handbrake if that would help. As for the bootloader, I prefer it so I can also work in Raspbian on learning linux (although I am about to add bash into Win10) and work on my Retropie project, so that I can add to my list of gaming systems. I do have an old tower that I could use if necessary, but don't have the room for a tower (which would explain my having an overpriced gaming laptop lol). You said that power adapters give various results, so are you referring to networking through my apartment's electrical system, as that would save some headache with cords... Sorry that I am working through this backwards, but anyways, My External 4TB Seagate does have a built in fan... although it is weak. Finally, is there any way rating that I should be looking for, in regards to the USB interface with the router. I know that I should look for USB3.0, but as for the serving, I am not sure where to even begin looking. Apparently I had to change in. (the measurement) to very close, since this board doesn't like that word. Guess they must be jealous of the size of my ... antenna (yeah bad joke, but it is ridiculous that you can't say a measurement lol). HDD: B00J0O5R2I What I was looking at for a Router: ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=RRCA6NZA0SEH9CNRR9E7&th=1

I was just looking for a bit of help and was wondering if it is possible to use the Raspberry PI 3 with LibreElec (preferred) setup on the Berryboot Bootloader and play videos from a NAS, which would be a 5TB Seagate attached directly to a gigabit wifi router via USB. I would be pulling large 1080p video files directly from the NAS over the WIFI to my PI. I have seen blogs discussing setting up caching on the PI to help with this, but am unsure of quite a few things:

I have read articles and have been unable to find if the internal wifi antenna would work for transferring that data and not fall victim to buffering/loading/latency.

I don't want to have to keep moving my hdd, because my last Seagate got a short in the esata to usb converter, rendering it useless. I want to be able to access my 5TB Seagate from my 2 laptops, phone, Raspberry PI, and any other device I get in the future.

What are the potential bottlenecks if I have this type of setup? Would it be the HDD's filesystem? the router's USB speeds? the router (not sure why it would be, being gigabit, but I am not in IT)? The Raspberry PI's internal adapter? The cache on the PI? The Kodi flavor I choose? Settings in Kodi?

Is anyone able to help me?/shrug Any help would be greatly appreciated:)