Posts by pletopia

Its been a while since I've been on this thread. I was curious where we stand with LE and 10bit HDR on either nvidia hw or intel hardware. I know the regular builds of LE are still Kodi 17 so they don't do HDR but i know there are development builds now that do ....

Today my old Zotac Mag box died and I'm looking for a replacement for it. I dont' need anything to run on there other then kodi so I can even go with an Andriod type of box for it but I do like to run Aeon Silvio on it so that does use a bit more resources and i know my Atom box previously was a bit sluggish. I don't have a 4k tv yet but plan to have this box hooked up to one in the next couple months so thats why I would prefer to buy something that is future proofed for that.

I'm just planning on this being a simple Kodi box that will also run an eggdrop and also a glftpd instance for my local network.

I've thought of maybe setting up Kodi to do emulators but that would be for like NES, SNES, Sega's and maybe N64. Don't think I would need Intel core architecture for that.

Yes, but be aware that we intend to significantly alter the Linux graphics stack in our development branch in the near future. You should not expect stability from releases based on that branch until that work matures.

Thats great to hear. I'm still hesitant on buying new gear and was thinking of waiting till next summer to buy a new tv when I move to a new place but I might do it sooner knowing that I have viable options for a player and a decently reviewed 4k tv for my bedroom isn't an A$$ ton of money.

That generation of NUC supports 10-bit HEVC but fixes for HD audio passthrough are not in current LE releases, because while the available fixes work great on the latest generations of NUC they also break stuff on older generations. Things are resolved once the kernel bumps to 4.13 or so which is available in milhouse dev builds (future LE 9.0, although we are nowhere near alpha releases at the moment) and some other community images found in these forum. The LSPCON internal DP > HDMI design decision attracts pissy comments because it's taken Intel a huge amount of time to recognise and then fix the audio problem (more than a year).

So if i were to get one of those NUC's and install one of the milhouse dev builds of LE, I will be able to do 10-bit HEVC to a compatible 4k tv?

Nvidia has not supported 10bit video on Linux from the beginning. It's only Windows which is allowed that honour. Why? I'm sure there is some logic behind that corporate decision by Nvidia.

Meanwhile, Intel has had its hiccups with BIOS's and drivers. Not to mention the flakey HDMI 2.0 solution they came up with in their hardware design. Even the next Intel generation is whispered not to have proper HDMI 2.0 support.

So there is no way to do a DIY HTPC that does x265 and 10bit HDR?

I see you mentioned flaky HDMI 2.0 support from Intel. What does that exactly mean? I was looking at the NUC6CAYH. Seems to fit my bill as I can get that for about 120-130$ and should be strong enough to power my Kodi plus a few other things I have running on my box besides that.

Just read through this and it seems to be giving that box good reviews and makes it seem like exactly what I want.

Apollo Lake NUC Review (NUC6CAYH) 3/3: Linux, HTPC and Conclusions – The NUC Blog

I'm thinking of getting onto the 4k 10bit train soon. I'm currently using Kodibuntu but since that is outdated I plan to update my HTPC to libreelec in the future. I'm trying to do some research into 4k 10bit playback and came across this post. I know I'm going to have to upgrade my box OR get a dedicated player like a Vero 4k.

I would prefer to just upgrade my HTPC and ideally just the video card. Is there anyway to do nvidia + linux and get 10bit playback? I do not want to do windows. I would prefer not to do a new cpu either.